DVD to ATV question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by snarfquest, Jan 27, 2014.

1. snarfquest macrumors regular

I have a bunch of DVDs that I have on my home NAS. They are all ripping as a whole disk with MDRP. I can play them as a DVD with VLC or Apple DVD player. How do I get them to my ATV exactly?

For many of the basic movies I've used Handbrake to make m4v files and stream those from iTunes. This works great for most movies. However, for TV episodes where each episode is a different chapter manually making a m4v file for each chapter is beyond tedious. I just want the whole disc and the DVD menu to pop up so I can select the chapter. So what do you do to accomplish this? I'd be happy to be able to mount the DVD and stream the chapter to the ATV but Apple DVD player doesn't do this, only iTunes will do it. Wish I could import the .dvdmedia files into iTunes....

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use MakeMKV to rip my DVD's and then import the .mkv files into iFlicks 2 which converts them, adds all the metadata, cover art and adds them to my iTunes library. I can then access my iTunes library via the Apple TV. It's simple process for me and it works well.

3. snarfquest thread starter macrumors regular

Yes for most DVD's that's fine. How about TV shows when there are 3-6 episodes per disc. For some DVD's I get only the first episode. Others I get all 3+ episodes in 1 big file. I use HandbrakeCLI with some scripts and I haven't been able to figure a way to script this. At least not easily.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

TV shows work just the same. I've completed 13 of the 15 seasons of E.R. the other day. I just queue them up in MakeMKV and import each episode (as a separate file) into iFlicks 2 and it organizes everything.

5. snarfquest thread starter macrumors regular

How are you batching them with MakeMKV? I haven't seen a command line method for MakeMKV like we have for HandbreakCLI.

If you are manually loading them into MakeMKV and selecting the chapters then that is at the very core of my question. I don't want to do this manually. I have too many seasons of different shows that I want to process. All of the DVD's are already in .dvdmedia format on disc I just want to get all the episodes into iTunes. I can loop through movies easy enough with HandbreakCLI and grab the "main title". That isn't so easy with TV episodes as I only get either the first title or I get all the episodes smashed into 1 file.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

With MakeMKV I insert the disc, it reads it and displays for me each file that is on the disc. Each file, on the show E.R. for example, is an episode, plus one file for the "play all" option which is all episodes combined into one file and sometimes there are "extras" files available.

What I do is uncheck the "play all" file and the "extras" files and then click on the remaining files, and set the output file name to the title of the episode with the episode number and export them into a folder named 'ER season 12,' for example. Then I click the button to "Make MKV" and it does the rest.

Then I tell iFlicks 2 to look in the folder where all the mkv files are and it finds all the metadata automatically and I press the 'start' button to convert them and load them into iTunes.

7. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I use MDRP to rip and convert TV show discs all the time. It has a queue feature just like handbrake.

8. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

One of the issues I find with TV shows is that every once in a while you find a show that doesn't put the episodes in numerical sequence on the disc. So the disc might be episodes 5-10, but the order is 6,7,8,9,10,5. As a result I've gone verifying each episode.

Which is why I still have hundreds of discs to do and am in no hurry :)

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Seinfeld is like this and I had to verify each episode too. E.R. however was in chronological order for every episode which was very nice considering it's 15 seasons long.

10. snarfquest thread starter macrumors regular

That's hopelessly manual. :-(

I'll check out MDRP command line options and see where that leads.