Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackscooby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Cheshire, UK
Hi,

I always used to encode TV programmes I've recording on my old PC, now I'm moving away from PC to my Mac I want to encode DVD to Divx / Xvid format.

On the PC this was easy as pie as there are loads of free apps out there to do this (I used to use SimpleDivx).

I've tried searching, but I could find anything that would encode. I've got Mac The Ripper to take from the source.

Is there anything similar for OSX ?

Thanks

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Or just ripping it with Handbrake which supports XviD...

But honestly, if you are switching to Mac, then switch your file formats as well. h264 is a much better codec than XviD, and you can put it in either the MKV or MP4 container. So, do your eyes a favor, encode h264

blackscooby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Cheshire, UK
Hmmm Handbrake and Mac the Ripper work great, however....

As I record a lot of stuff off TV to DVD is there any software anyone knows about where I can select the start point and end point that I rip to HD ?

(In DVD Shrink I can select the frames and extract just the part I want)

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Hmmm Handbrake and Mac the Ripper work great, however....

As I record a lot of stuff off TV to DVD is there any software anyone knows about where I can select the start point and end point that I rip to HD ?

(In DVD Shrink I can select the frames and extract just the part I want)

You can rip individual chapters from DVDs no problem.

blackscooby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Cheshire, UK
You can rip individual chapters from DVDs no problem.

Yeah, it's not quite what I mean though. If I record a TV prog I might get some "trash" at the beginning or end say +5 mins of another prog. I'm used to "re-authoring" the DVD to just include the prog down to the exact second that titles start etc. Very useful when ripping to Divx to keep the prog.

Thanks

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Yeah, it's not quite what I mean though. If I record a TV prog I might get some "trash" at the beginning or end say +5 mins of another prog. I'm used to "re-authoring" the DVD to just include the prog down to the exact second that titles start etc. Very useful when ripping to Divx to keep the prog.

Thanks

You can use Quicktime Pro to edit the your recorded TV episodes I believe.. assuming that it can open the files (don't forget to grab Perian)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.