Dvd to Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Reem, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Reem macrumors member

Reem

Hi all,

I have been using the Final Cut Pro Version 5 and I also have the DSR11 to capture my dvcam footage. Lately, some of the clients wanted to include some videos from a dvd.

So my question, is there a way to download the video from dvd so that I can edit it in the Final Cut ? I heard there are some softwares I could install? Or I was thinking if I connected a dvd player to the DSR-11, and then choose to capture from "uncont... device" in the capture settings?

Please I need your advice as this client is in quite a hurry..

Thanks,

2. bkvideography macrumors member

put dvd into dvd player
    run a/v cables from dvd player to camcorder
    put camcorder in VCR mode
    record.

- capture into final cut

3. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

I personally have a converter, which was first purchased for VHS capturing, but I also hook it up to my DVD player too when I need it, very useful little box.

4. steveq macrumors newbie

use DVDXDV

look up in google dvdxdv. This software converts DVDs into quicktime files for use in final cut. A worthwhile investment.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Any one of a number of pieces of software could do it without the quality loss associated with running it in over analog and re-encoding to DV. MPEG Streamclip is one that jumps immediately to mind.

6. Reem thread starter macrumors member

Reem

Thanks !!

Thanks, these are the steps I was looking for. but where do i connect the dvd player? to my mac usb output? sorry I am not very aware of cables issues !!

I really liked this software, but I think I will wait awhile to purchase it. As it seems very profressional and I feel that I will benefit from it.

So, where can i possibly buy this convertor?

Ok, now can you please explain the steps. SO, I did download the software. I just insert the dvd.. and then what exactly? How can I convert it to Quicktime in order to use it in FCP?

Thanks all for your replies. Now, I have many options to choose from LooL

7. the vj macrumors 6502a

There is a software call Cinematize 2.0, it converts each track of the DVD into a Quicktime movie directly in any format you want including audio.

Is cheaper than buying a video capture device. It is faster because you do not have to capture the whole thing, just the portion of the chapter that you want. And better yet, you still in digital format without quality loss.

For best results import the entire DVD into your hard drive and extract the tracks from there, I believe is more realiable that way, but that is just me.

I have tons of songs from my DVD concerts in my iPod as well. Finally some one made it easy.

8. avkills macrumors 6502

avkills

MPEG Streamclip is the way to go.

Open the DVD like a regular folder; open the Video TS folder and find a VOB file and drag and drop it on to the MPEG Streamclip window. Hit the Apple-F to fix timecode breaks (a notorious trick employed or something made non-professional)

If you know the length of the video; it will be pretty obvious if you have the right VOB file. If you don't close the current file and drag another over; repeat until you have the one you need.

Use the Export to QuickTime (the export to DV will not work in FCP) and then select the NTSC DV/DVCAM (or PAL) and make sure the Audio is uncompressed and 48Khz. Also slide the quality slider all the way up. Enjoy!

-mark

9. bkvideography macrumors member

well one end is just like your ipod headphone connector and the other end has a red, white, and yellow rca connector. plug thr red white and yellow into your dvd player's audio and video out port, and plug the other end into your camera. turn the camera to VCR mode, and you will see video not on your tv, but on your camera. now in your camera's manual, look for how it says to record in VCR mode.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The DSR11 is a DVCAM deck, not a camera. All the OP needs is a pair of RCA cables and an s-video cable (assuming the DVD player has s-video out) to connect the DVD players OUTs into the DVCAM decks INs.

Lethal

11. bkvideography macrumors member

you got me.

12. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I can't figure out how to use Cinematize.. Do you have any suggestions that might help me get started with it? I keep hearing how easy it is, which makes me feel like a complete dufus because I'm lost with it..

13. Reem thread starter macrumors member

Reem

MPEG issue

avkills
    Hi Marc,

Hi there, I did all these steps.. but then I got this msg.."You must install MPEG-2 Playback Componenet before trying to export MPEG 2 files! You can buy it online from Apple"

14. gearloose macrumors newbie

trouble with streamclip: advice?

I took advice from a Mac forum: downloaded MPEGStreamclip, and bought Apple's QuickTimeMPEG2

When I use Streamclip to open a .VOB file, it first prompts me to let it 'fix' time breaks. I let it. A couple of minutes later it offers me a menu of formats in which to Export the files; when I ask it to do that--whether .AVI or .DV or Quicktime--it invariably says it cannot.

I don't know if I ought to be doing something intelligent with QuickTime; I was hoping Streamclip would use that as needed.

Advice?
    Thanks