DVD to iMovie - Will 2.1.2 version work? How?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bswift, Jan 4, 2008.

1. bswift macrumors newbie

I have two files that I want to edit down. One is a 30 minute TV show I taped with my DVD recorder and want the edited version to have the start of the show and the few minutes that I was on the show.

The other file is a DVD of a 30 minute talk I gave that was recorded for a cable tv show. They then sent me an unedited version and an edited version on a DVd CD.

My current iMovie program is 2.1.2 on a one year old MacBook, and I can't figure out how to import the files. I have Handbrake and VisualHub and have used them to convert the files to mp4, MPEG, and even DV, but still not been able to figure out how to import any of these formats.

Wondering if I need to upgrade my iMovie and if so to what version. (I understand that iMovie 08 is quite different has have read good and bad reviews on it). Also wondering if Quicktime Pro would allow me to do the simple editing, mostly cutting and pasting, etc.

Anyone who can help, I'll be most appreciative. I'm a loyal Mac user since the very early days, but it's been quite awhile since I've been so stumped.

2. julianps macrumors member

julianps

From MacInTouch

Aero Quartet's SimpleMovieX 3.6.2 makes it possible to open movies (in most popular formats, including QuickTime, AVI, Google Video, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4), cut or copy between clips, resize, add captions, re-encode, and export to any QuickTime format, all without QuickTime Pro.

This release adds a redesigned timeline with an in/out/playhead model and the ability create MPEG-4 files with chapter markers. SimpleMovieX is $35 for Mac OS X 10.3.9 and up (Universal Binary).

Alternatively Aquafadas' VideoPier 1.0 beta 2 is a utility for managing MPEG-2 video. It can detect and display all the clips, copy clips to your hard drive in their original format, and create events for clips. It also offers multi-clip playback (including full screen) and export to any QuickTime format, to iMovie '06 or '08, and to the iPhone, iPod, or Apple TV.

VideoPier is available for Mac OS X 10.4 and up.

You might also look at Norrkross Movie Written and designed by Martin Wennerberg at Norrkross Software, ReelBean from js8media or Video2go from Synium

3. -DH macrumors 65816

Try using MPEG Streamclip (freeware) to convert the DVD's VOB files into a .dv stream for importing into iMovie.

By the way, just what is a "DVD cd"?

-DH

4. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

I use DVDxDV, and it's made just for that. The program costs $25, but you can't beat the quality. Check it out if interested.

5. gabrules macrumors newbie

iMovie doesn't open DVD's to edit. An option you can use would be hooking up the DVD player as if it was a mini DV. Use firewire out on your DVD player and import it into iMovie. It takes longer but you can avoid buying a program.
    Gabriel
    Video Express
    http://www.videoexpressmontreal.com

6. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

And just how many consumer DVD players have the FireWire out???

7. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

If you intend to output your final edit to DVD, don't use iMovie08 as its working resolution for a SDDVD source is 640x480 - so when you render the final footage, it will be interpolated from 640x480 to 720x480 (or 720x576 for PAL).

The end result will look soft and lack the detail of the original.

8. -DH macrumors 65816

MPEG Streamclip is freeware - nothing to buy. And just so you'll know, most DVD players do NOT have a Firewire output.

-DH

9. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

Keep in mind that MPEG Streamclip won't work without the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component ($19.99). You should have it installed if you are using Final Cut Studio, otherwise you have to buy it.

10. gabrules macrumors newbie

Hi, Most Panasonic and Pioneer stand alone burners have firewire outs. At work we have 2 of each of those brands (they are the most compatible brands) that cost us about 100$ therefore they are pretty affordable.
    Gabriel
    Video Express
    http://www.videoexpressmontreal.com

11. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

The firewire port on DVD recorders are usually "in" only to keep people from trying to rip video off of copywrited disks. The DVD firewire port was designed so that consumer camcorders could easily dump their video to DVD.

12. gabrules macrumors newbie

The ones I have the firewire is in and out. DVD's have copyright if the producers don't want them to be ripped. Using firewire out will work just you're image will be black and white, the tracking will be off and the image will be shaky.
    Gabriel

13. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

...which finally proves that if you are a professional in this field, you should never give an advice to import DVD footage into an NLE program that way. Thank you.

14. gabrules macrumors newbie

Hi, Actually i was refering to a shaky picture if there is a copy right which he isn't allowed using anyways. Anything he has recorded on his own will work fine with the firewire out on the DVD player.

15. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

OK, let's back off and look at the situation objectively. We're trying to help out a guy who wants to import DVD footage into iMovie. We're all giving advices and trying to save him a few bucks by suggesting what we think is the least expensive option. Your call was to use a DVD player/recorder with FireWire port, which, as you mention before, cost about a $100. I am sorry, but this is the most expensive option out of all that were suggested here. Dude, just give it up and get back to the wedding video editing.