DVD to iPad for noobs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KSKENE247, Mar 19, 2011.

1. KSKENE247 macrumors member

Hey I tried searching but couldn't find anything helpful. I am looking for a program that allows you to put in a dvd, and have the output format designed for ipads. My dad wants to know and he isn't very computer smart and needs something simple. Thanks! Oh and it's gotta be free!

2. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

Do you have a mac? If so, did you try handbrake (have it for a while and I think it is free). Very easy to use and has a setting to import for the ipad. So, just put handbrake on your mac, set the correct settings for ipad and import the dvd to the mac. I then drop it in to itunes and sync the ipad and all done.

Not sure this is your question... but hope it helps.

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Handbrake, but it eats up your CPU usage(if you're on core 2 duo or lower)...

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You will need to rip the dvd to your mac (Mac the Ripper or Ripit) then convert it (Handbrake). Get your fans pumping before hand for handbrake. It will use between 80-90% of your CPU.

5. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

yup. it's really hot during the encoding but it works like a charm

6. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

Is there a benefit to ripping to (mac the ripper etc.) to the mac first and then handbrake? I usually just handbrake from the DVD to the mac, then load into iTunes and sync? Just wondering.

7. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

RipIt from The Little App Factory does exactly what you are asking; one click conversions of DVDs to iPad format.

Insert DVD, hit 'Compress' and add the resultant file to iTunes. Literally could not be simpler.

However, it does cost some money (around $20) I believe, but it does exactly what you are asking. Handbrake will no doubt be FAR too confusing for your father, assuming he is anything like mine.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just need to have VLC loaded in order use Handbrake this way

9. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

It also prolongs the life of your optical drive.

With a rip, the drive will spin for roughly 30 minutes.

With a direct Handbrake encode, the drive spins for the whole 1hr+ transcoding process.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't disagree at all... just stating the method
    I personally use Mac DVDRipper Pro for my rips

11. KSKENE247 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, hand break seems to be the best. I dont wanna make another thread so how about this, I am also using handbreak to convert a mkv file to mp4 (ipad) and when I watch the mkv file on VLC player, there are subtitles. I know I can remove them buy going to video, then clicking disable, but after the coversion completes on handbreak will the movie still have subtitles? If it does is there any way to remove them?

12. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

Not an expert, but I believe that handrake has a setting you need to specifically set to get the closecaption stuff. Either burn in or turn on options. So if you don't set handbrake for this, you will not get CC.