DVD to Ipad Quality/Size

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jamalexandrou, Jul 11, 2011.

1. jamalexandrou macrumors newbie

Looking to rip a couple of DVD's to Ipad for an upcoming trip.

I've ripped using MacTheRipper - Main titile only

Now onto Streamclip -

Used the Apple TV preset means a 4.1 gig file (!!)
    limiting date to 3 mbps means 2.5 but this still feels massive??

I've seen DVD rips that are around 700mb up to a max of about 1.1 gig and the quality seems more then fine So Im wondering what the missing piece of the puzzle is?

Am I able to get an approx 90 min DVD rip under a gig to play on the Ipad with an acceptable level of quality and how? (I know acceptable is down to personal preference)

cheers me dears.

2. Stefx73 macrumors regular

I use Handbrake. It has preset settings for the iPad. Movies look great.

3. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I use MacX DVD Ripper Pro... and it does its job pretty well.

4. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

+1 for Handbrake. used it to convert Transformers and the file came out at 1.5GB

5. zaxdude macrumors 6502

+1 on Handbrake...

Just remember that when using Handbrake you either need to rip the DVD first using something like DVDFab, and then encode with Handbrake.

Or, you can also install VLC and tell Handbrake where VLC is located (in settings). This will enable Handbrake to rip (via VLC) & encode for the iPad in one pass.

6. Stefx73 macrumors regular

We're probably not helping you by telling you we use Handbrake if you insist to use another software than handbrake...so, using the Apple TV preset in your software might be the issue. I would assume the ATV preset is for 1080i or 720p?

I looked in the Handbrake settings, there's not much to share with you to give you a hint on what settings to use, but you should set it to a 1024 width max (vertical being whatever it ends up being by keeping the same ratio as the source).
    The codec in Handbrake is H.264, but there's no explicit bitrate set for the iPad preset because it's set to a quality level (RF 20, whatever that means) so it is probably a variable bitrate.

As a reference, a 45min SG-1 episode ripped (I own the DVDs) with DVDFAb then iPad-encoded on Handbrake is about 400-500MB (the DVD was 720p format, so handbrake made 720x480 m4v files, at around 1000-1500kbps bitrates).

7. zaxdude macrumors 6502

To further help, if you are using a MAC here is some good information with additional video tutorial links:

Handbrake/VLC Tutorial

The above info can similarly be used for an Windows environment. As well, many of the concepts about settings can be transferred to other ripping software such as MacTheRipper or DVDFab.

You can search google for "how to use Handbrake" or "vlc handbrake". Lots of reading material will be at your disposal.

8. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

That is a useful tutorial, thanks!