DVD to iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneApple, Mar 6, 2011.

1. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

Is it legal to rip DVDs ( like Inception) if you buy them to your iPhone for personal use?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Tough to say. The MPAA maintains that it's not, but I honestly don't see a difference between than and ripping CDs (which, coincidentally, the MPAA also considers illegal). Just do it, if you're not sharing the files and just taking movies with you, you're fine.

3. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Yes and no.

No - because it is technically a violation of the 'licensing agreement' that you (supposedly) enter into when you purchase a DVD. The MPAA would say that you're not buying a movie, but you're buying a license to watch the DVD version movie on one player at a time for private use. You are not supposed to rent out your DVD or charge people to watch it (because the MPAA would want a cut of that money). The licensing agreement also explicitly forbids copying. It could also be argued that circumventing the copy protection on the DVD violates the DMCA.

Yes - because the MPAA isn't incurring any monetary loss or damages if you view a copy of the movie you already bought on a device you own. Forms of copying (back ups) have been declared as fair use and no judge worth their salt would find against you for transferring a movie you already paid for to your phone for your own use.

Short story: If the MPAA thought they could make money by suing you then they would... but since they are only losing ~$14 each time someone makes a copy for their phone *for their own personal use* (not for giving away to people or distribution).... it doesn't make financial sense for them to hire a $200/hr lawyer to go after you.

5. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

is there any way to track if i ripped the DVD?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

No. The MPAA/RIAA haven't the time or money to bother going after individuals for transferring music/videos from their own DVD/CDs to their own iPhone/iPod etc. While they maintain you need to buy a second copy to put on your idevice, no one is going to do that.

I buy CDs via Amazon/B&N and load them into iTunes and put them on an iPod Touch. I see no reason not to do so and there's no way they can track this even if they wanted to.

7. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

ok. I'll try to rip some movies with RipIt then.