dvd to ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Col-Trickle, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Col-Trickle macrumors newbie

Is it possible to rip a dvd to my 8gb ipod touch? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, download Handbrake, pop your DVD in, choose the iPhone/iPod Touch preset and press Start. Your away. :)

3. The Grood macrumors regular

If I rip the DVD for iPhone use, will I have to rip it again at a higher quality for future Apple TV/big screen use?

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Erm, it depends.

I ripped House from the DVD for my iPod Touch and it's very watchable on my 32" Widescreen, it's not perfect but pretty damn good.

If your a quality whore then it'll be no good, but it's very watchable.

5. The Grood macrumors regular

When the movie rental service comes to the UK, Apple TV will be my source of films for the plasma. Before then hoping to rip 100 or so DVDs to my iMac for streaming to the same screen...

So, yeah in that sense definitely a quality whore.

However, still want to watch them on the iPT.

Does this mean ripping them twice then?

6. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

It does, but there are ways of improving the workflow to reduce the time spent on this.

Currently i use a tool called MacTheRipper which basically moves the whole contents of the DVD onto the harddrive. Takes a ton of space, but is quick ie. around 25 mins.

Then i use handbrake to rip from that using the AppleTV preset, which gives a high quality rip. Now either at this point you could repeat handbrake to the iphone preset, or do what i do and invest in visualhub, costs about $20 and is very quick at transcoding the appletv file you've created into an iphone version and adding it to itunes.

The advantage with all this is, ripping by handbrake alone will take 2 to 3 hours typically, especially with two passes switched on. Whereas i can us MacTheRipper to import a batch of movies and then use the task lists of handbrake and visualhub to line up all the heavy lifting to happen overnight.

This results in two pristine files optimised for each device, by the next day. I tend to add the iphone version to itunes for syncing and the appletv file ends up in my movies folder which appletv can view over my wireless network.

Cheers. M

:D

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just load the DVD in the mini-DVD slot loading drive found on the bottom of the iPod touch. It's one of the many hidden and undocumented features of the iPod touch... (iPhone users don't get have this!)

8. pbcrazyboy macrumors member

I think im gonna put that in my sig.

9. The Grood macrumors regular

Thanks - will give it a go.

10. Col-Trickle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help with suggesting the hand brake programme. I now have another problem where it wont let me upload dvd's even with that programme. Is this because of copyright? I've even tried the house dvd as previously mentioned.