DVD To ISO, Automator, New Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dandubois89, May 17, 2009.

1. dandubois89 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

After cleaning up my house and noticing I have a very lengthy movie collection I decided I should probably back them up incase anything happened. I have been thinking of investing in another mac to do this. (just gives me a reason to give the lady of the house an excuse to buy one haha) But I was wondering is there any way I can just Rip my dvd's straight to .iso? I figure if i ever need a copy iso would provide me the quick way to make it. I cant find any straight software that rips to iso. Im preferably looking for free software but I wouldn't mind investing 30 bucks or so in a decent app. I also assume if its an iso I should be able to just burn it to a new dvd with Disk Utility. Is this correct or will the software be capable of doing it.

Any recommendations?

Is there a way with automator or something I could make it so I just I pop in the dvd, it starts ripping then spits out the dvd? I have never used automator so I'm not exactly sure of its capabilities or even functions.

Also since I may be investing in a new mac as well which mac will let me rip my dvds quickly. I have hundreds and I have a black macbook but I assume an iMac or high end mac mini would maybe do it quicker. I'm not sure id the new ddr3 ram would come into play maybe even the graphics card. So im just looking for some advice really.

Thanks again guys, Its helpful to know that when i have questions I can always come here.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

As for straigt to .iso, i haven't heard of any, but I've used MTR to rip to Video_TS, then Toast to make the .iso file.

If you're not going to keep the final .iso files on a separate drive in a different physical location not a lot of point to backing up the DVDs to a drive. Better to back up to a blank DVD, then store those somewhre else. Just my 2 cents. I guess the .iso files do work well with Windows Media Center though.

3. dandubois89 thread starter macrumors newbie

well my plan is to back them up to .iso so I can keep everything nice and neat. Also I was going to re-burn them all and put them in binders in a safe place. In my house dvd's dont seem to last long or get lost. Everywhere I see this toast program it must be pretty good. How flexible is it? Is it easy to use and decently powerful?

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Toast Basic probably won't do what you need, but Toast Titanium should. THat's what I use to create the compressed .iso files after ripping the DVD.