DVD to ISO please?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kimosaabee, Aug 1, 2009.

1. kimosaabee macrumors member

I have searched everywhere for software that really "works" for making a DVD to and ISO image. I've tried many different programs and either they either only convert to mp4 etc etc... i am only interested in ISO, can someone please help me with software that will do this?

2. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

Have I understood right that you want to rip a DVD to an iso file?

3. kimosaabee thread starter macrumors member

That is EXACTLY what I want

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To be clear, you want to save a DVD to an ISO disc image file. It is enormously helpful of you not to state your intended purpose for the disc image file. Otherwise, someone might be tempted to suggest Disk Utility which you have already. For the meager sum of $29.00 US, you may purchase iSkySoft DVD Copy For Mac.

5. kimosaabee thread starter macrumors member

The intent of the ISO file? an ISO file is an ISO file, the intent is to have an ISO file (backup) of the disc that at a later date I can burn again. I realize I can create a .cdr file of the disc from disc utility and then rename it to .iso assuming this is the same thing I would be satisfied. Apparently it is from researching it.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm not sure why everyone thought the OP wasn't clear but I was wondering the same thing.

OP .cdr files are what I use on a mac instead of ISO. Works flawlessly.

7. kimosaabee thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! thanks for the confirmation

8. jbuk macrumors regular

Yeah, you can just rename the .cdr's made by disk utility into .iso. Why would you not use the Mac's native file format, .dmg, by the way? Windows compatibility?

9. larkost macrumors 6502a

If the DVD that you are trying to copy is a movie, then you can't do what you seem to want to do (at least not if you ever want to watch the movie from the backup). Commercial DVDs are printed in encrypted format and part of the keying system is in a stripe that you can't make on writable DVDs. This is why everyone rips the dvd then re-creates it.

Of course we are in legal grey waters to begin with here, since there is no firmly established right to make backups of the media (this is "copy right" law we are talking about, and you are trying to make a copy). At least in the US (other jurisdictions may be different, but by-and-large they are not).

If this is a DVD-ROM, then you can just make the image (still in legal grey area).

10. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Why save the DVD to an image-file (ISO)? I would just rip the DVD using MTR or RipIt and place the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders inside another folder that is named after the DVD it represents.

11. kimosaabee thread starter macrumors member

that is a good point just to rip them into the video and audio folders. I haven't tried those programs, I think I will do that if it's true you can't burn it back onto a disc doing it through disc utility.

I know this may not be totally legal... either are a lot of things. But to have backups on your computer of YOUR dvd is fine in my eyes, I bought it, it's mine, and I'm not selling them... anyway... Thanks for the Great advice!!!

12. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

There is no problem with backing up your own DVD.

And I know the way that I described works, I do it all the time. You can even just use Finder to copy the folders and burn them to a blank DVD.