DVD to itunes, is it possible? how?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigbellyDad, May 25, 2008.

1. bigbellyDad macrumors newbie

bigbellyDad

I would like to be able to download a couple of DVD's to itunes but have failed when trying. Is there a way to do this?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Download as in steal or download as in "you have the media and are trying to upload it to iTunes"?

For the first, get out. For the second, Google search for HandBrake.

3. bigbellyDad thread starter macrumors newbie

bigbellyDad

What ever the reason, I would just like to know.

I just would like to download a couple for my airplane flight.

I just would like to download a couple for my airplane flight. It would make it so much easier than carrying and possibly losing the actual disks.

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

He wants to download the media illegally it appears from below.

Yh sounds like it was illegal downloads then.

Now this sounds like you are defo going to illegal downloads, if your using DVD's you know search the forums to get info on HandBrake & MacThe Ripper or you could just buy/rent from iTunes directly, Also ever heard of a thing called edit as your post were a minutes apart it there for a reason :mad:.

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

There is a program called HandBrake. Please only use it with DVDs you own.

It is a way of copying copy protected material which is not illegal if you own the DVDs but is illegal (or at-least unethical) if you do not own the DVDs.

Download the DVDs from the net via torrent or other file sharing software is not technically a crime but is the perpetuation of an illegal act. (Its technically only illegal to be the person who begins the sharing not one you partakes in the sharing (the statute was made clear after the napster trials)).

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Actually it encodes not copies from the DVD, uses a piece of software that can ignore all the flags of copyright that stop (Well meant to anyway) copying of DVD's.

7. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

HandBrake will do the job. Also, get MetaX for tagging your movies with descriptions and artwork.

Illegal or not, studios get enough money from over priced DVD and Blu-Ray sales as it is.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Do you shoplift, steal cars and rob banks using the same obtuse logic?

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

That's different - you are stealing something physical (assuming you robbed the bank for hard cash).

Studios who make copies of one thing, such as a movie, then sell it on at a stupidly high price can only expect piracy to over take sales.

Unless each DVD was unique, then it is way over priced.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Shows how naive and how little you understand the business world.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So you would steal people's identities and abuse their credit? Credit is not physical at all.

12. lovewenc macrumors newbie

13. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I think what was meant was that as a DVD costs almost nothing to make (after the first try) other objects come at great value to the vendor.

while yes it costs the better part of a billion dollars to make a movie one should note that most of that is made in the theaters within the first few weeks of production if the movie is good enough.

From there the movie then moves to rental for residual value and to scrape the barrel for more profits.

The fact is these companies aren't hurt by one or two people copying them from a rental copy and are only slightly damaged by the online trading of the content.

Also the amount of money spent to hunt down the people who are trading these movies costs more than it does to let it happen and either way most people are more than happy to go rent the DVD so they can easily watch it on their television rather than watch it on their computer which for everyone who is not a Mac Pro or iMac owner means watching it in teenweeny eye squintovison, crappy slow vision, or lap burning and pore audio vision.

Either way the point is please do not steal DVD's but if you do wish to watch them on your mac then use Handbrake its the best thing for the job and while you can use it to break the law please don't.

Oh and just so you know I made copies of my dvds to go on a plane once and you know why. BECAUSE THEY HAD NO POWER ADAPTERS AND SPINNING THE DISK BURNS BATTERY. so watch what conclusions you jump to make or you could end up looking silly.