DVD to iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knemonic, Feb 14, 2011.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Curious what is the best, fastest workflow everyone has had with converting DVDs to m4v/mp4 format?

I have been using handbrake for a long time and it does the job but lately I have been debating about converting a lot of my DVDs. I was looking at Elgato's Turbo.h264 HD to speed up the process (my iMac is decent for transcoding but were talking quite a few dvds) but I am not sure if the Turbo will really allow me to do the things Handbrake does.

Essentially I am looking for the fastest with the best quality export possible. Elgato says it will convert from unencrypted video_ts folders, but it says you have to choose the vob file, which is what it converts, but in most cases, a movie is multiple vob files.

Any suggestions would be sweet! Thanks!

2. John444 macrumors member

I like to use any of the following for converting videos:
    -Handbrake
    -ffmpegX
    -GrarageBand
    -iMovie
    -or sometimes if even iTunes can do simple conversions to mp4 by going to Advanced>Create iPod or iPhone Version.

Any of these applications are good for video conversions but their speed depends on how long your movie is. I think that Handbrake does the best job and is the easiest to use for conversions.

3. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I used some kind of tools which has similar functions to handbrake, just like imToo, iSky, Leawo and so on. No offence to other brands, I think Leawo Mac DVD Ripper matchs to my requirement more with better quality and faster speed except without the function of transfer videos to my iPod Touch 4G and iso files supporting. If you just need to convert your DVD to iTunes, I think your need to try it.;)

4. atr-drivr macrumors member

Is it normal for it take show an hour and 30 mins to convert a DVD using Handbrake?. About as long as the movie is long seems excessive...

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It depends on the settings you use and your processing power.