DVD to .MKV software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BORIStheBLADE, Jun 1, 2009.

1. BORIStheBLADE macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

I am making the transition back to a mac pretty good except for a couple of programs that worked pretty good. Basically I have my DVD's stored in .MKV files for my Popcorn hour streamer.
    On my windows pc I use a DVD ripping program to save just the main movie in .ISO format. Then I would use another app that would save the .ISO as a .MKV.

I'm having trouble finding a program that does what MakeMKV does. It basically puts a movie in a .MKV container without any compression plus chapters. It takes basically 5 minutes for this program to do it. I have converted 160 of my DVD's this way so far and love it. I don't care to compress any of my movies since HD's are so cheap these days.

This is the program I'm referring to.

http://www.makemkv.com/

From the start with ripping a movie and ending up with an .MKV the process is about 30 min with this program.

Is they're a program that does what makemkv does? Am I better off trying to run Windows in virtualization with these apps?

thanks

2. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I've had the best luck using MacTheRipper to rip the DVD to the HDD and then using HandBrake to encode the movie to H.264 MKV/MP4.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Not sure why you'd rip to .mkv (H264 is better), but Handbrake can do that.

4. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

MKV is just a container format, just like MP4. The reason it's becoming more and more popular is the fact that it is open-source, and you can put basically whatever you want inside of it (H.264, DivX, AC3, MP3, etc...).

When HandBrake encodes a movie into a MKV container, it does it using H.264.

5. BORIStheBLADE thread starter macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

I have tried handbrake and it converts the file which takes hours.
    I guess I'll just have to give parallels a try.

thanks guys

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Thanks. I learnt something today. ;)

7. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

HandBrake is transcoding the video into a completely new format, H.264. Thats why it takes so long. The bottleneck with HandBrake is the CPU.

To "pass-through" media into a container is completely different, there's no transcoding happening, just simple copy and paste. Thus, much shorter "file-create" times. The only bottleneck here is the speed of your HDD.

Are you trying to encode your movies into a smaller more efficient file (MKV with H.264 video)? Or simply leave the video as it is (more than double the size) and some how put it inside a MKV container?

8. BORIStheBLADE thread starter macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

I'm trying to leave the video as is. I want same file size, same resolution. Just different container. Thats what Makemkv did.

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Oh ok, that makes sense. However, I don't know of any Mac apps that can passthrough DVD Audio/Video into a MKV container.

On MakeMKV's website it says that a Mac version is coming soon!

10. BORIStheBLADE thread starter macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

They have a mac version up now. I'm giving it a try as we speak.

11. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I guess I am not really adding to the thread, but it seems the beta mac version of MakeMKV works pretty good. This is the first time I have heard of it or used it, but it ripped a .mkv of the main feature of layer cake (a great flick) in about 14 minutes on my MBP 2.4ghz. It is a good thing to have options, and this program looks like a somewhat alternative to mactheripper, but if you plan on saving everyting from a dvd and not compressing, what I see so far, mactheripper is the way to go.

12. BORIStheBLADE thread starter macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

I don't think this program does much of any compression.

13. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

From what I can tell, it just stuffs the VOB files into a MKV container with no compression or anything. This is really cool and what I have been looking for.

14. BORIStheBLADE thread starter macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

Thats why i couldn't let go of my pc till now.;)

15. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I just gave MakeMKV a try, and, well...

I ripped a DVD to my HDD via MacTheRipper. However, I couldn't seem to get that to work with MakeMKV; it would start and then say "Failed". So I turned my VIDEO_TS into a .ISO file (via a terminal command) to see if that would fix it... negative. Still wouldn't turn my DVD into an MKV.

The UI for MakeMKV also needs some serious work too. Hopefully they keep up with the updates for this app.

16. BORIStheBLADE thread starter macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

try makeMKV alone. I tried it last night and it worked.

When I normally used it on a Win PC this is what my process was. DVDfabdecrypter (rip whole movie)->DVD shrink ( strip everything, but main movie with 5.1 in .ISO form -> makemkv. This whole process on a single core 2.4 cpu took about 30 min.

The UI does need some work, but for the sake of being free I can live with it.

17. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Well, it worked when I just did it straight from the disk. Only thing now is that, using Quicktime with Perian, it stutters horribly and uses tons of CPU power. Using VLC however, everything is normal... just like watching the original DVD using DVD Player.