DVD verify failure 0x80020063

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arogge, Apr 23, 2010.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I have lost two Superdrives, and now this new one is acting up. I am getting the following error message after the verification has started:

This disc can't be verified and might be unreliable. Try again using a new blank disc (error code 0x80020063). Could not open the data fork of "<unable to get file path>" (-43).

It looks like an OS X problem, but I don't know. Should I be worried that my discs are corrupt? The data looks like it's there, but I have no other way to verify except by manually looking at the files and assuming that there is no corruption.

The other problem is that it takes about 18 seconds for the disc to spin up, and this isn't the only system that I've noticed this happening to. My old CD drive from 10 years ago would spin up in about 5 seconds. Now it's a waiting game while the disc whirs and jiggles and makes assorted chunk-hummmm-squeak noises.

I have a similar problem with a set-top entertainment system. My old DVD drive was very fast to start. The disc would spin up immediately and begin displaying data. Now the new drive starts making the same sorts of noises that the Superdrives are doing - chunk-whirrrrr-chunk-chunk-whirrrrr-squeak-squeak-whirrrr. About 10-12 seconds later, I can finally access the disc. I mean, what is it doing in there? Just find the header and display the data!

On a related issue, is there anyone who doesn't outsource optical drive production to China and who will actually provide an adequate warranty for its products? I'm going through a warranty claim now and I've spent more money trying to get a replacement than it would've cost me to buy a new drive. I think that's what they want, and they expect you to just throw away the broken drive and buy a new one. I'm so tired about how cheap everything is getting in the computer industry. It's not cheaper when it costs money to fix and replace things that could have been manufactured with better quality and reliability.

Attached Files:

2. shippouk macrumors regular

BUMP
    Having same problem with brand new iMac.
    I get this exact issue every time on Blank CD's. I've now tried two brands, same notice.
    Can anyone help?
    Shippo

3. shippouk macrumors regular

OK, so I got it working.
    It doesn't like blank CD's but it likes blank DVD's.

Also just to note I was archiving off an external Hard Drive to blank media so that MAY have had something to do with it too.

Shippo

4. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

don't mean jack.

Error code don't mean jack. Happened to me 3 times using verbatim brand dvd-r's as backup devices to store a bunch of avi files.

The disk popped out, the error message came up. I put the disk back in, the files are where I placed them, and I am COMPLETELY able to read the data that was burned onto the disks.

Apple is just stupid.

5. Ladykylie macrumors newbie

Ladykylie

i am just different brands of blank DVDs and I still have the same problem :confused: