DVD will not play anymore...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Darthzilla, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Darthzilla macrumors member

Ok...

So I have a 17 inch iMac flat panel...its rock solid...I love it it loves me...BUT Recently the dvd player is wonky.

Old DVDs that i've had for a long time will play...but most newer dvds dont. I open the DVD player and it just says this DVD is unrecognizable and spits it back out.

Its a superdrive...so it will still play CDS/Rip CDs.

But the burner is also not working. Now I could really care less about burning CDs/dvds...I would just like to play DVDs in my machine....any clues/hint/ideas ?

Also...if I had to get a new DVD drive...what are we looking at cost wise ?

2. ant-macyourself macrumors member

Have you tried creating a new user account and testing out the DVD functionality there? I've come across a few instances where Superdrive-related issues weren't anything wrong with the hardware itself, but some kind of user software glitch instead.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Wonder if it's newer versions of copy protection? I have a G4 iBook, that will not always play new DVDs, but the same DVD will work fine in a player or on my 24" iMac. How old is your system and what version of OSx?

One of the big problems with supporting BluRay in OSx would be keeping up with changes that come out regularly for newer copy protection tweaks. It's one reason I've put off buying BluRay- getting updates for it.