Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehsanvaravi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
hi.
I want to write a file ( 7GB) to dvd but obviously it doesn't fit into one dvd.
what program can i use to split a file to two and write them to separate dvds.
or is there and dvd writing program which automatically splits the file while writing dvd???

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
You can try the Terminal command split.

"split -b 4000m <file>" would split <file> into 4GB parts.

You can use cat to merge the two parts back together.

ehsanvaravi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
it is an instalation program, therefore i want to write two dvds to be able to instal the application. so i basically want to put first dvd and start instalation and then when it asks for second one ill put that.

also the file is .dmg

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Well there is archiving program for windows which archives files in .rar format. (http://www.rarlabs.com) Anyways it was an option if you archiving in .rar format to split up the files based on size. I use it relatively often in windows anyway.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Does the installation file need to be on DVD? In other words, is it something like an OS install disk where you need to run it while the original OS is not running?

If so, I think your only option is a double sided DVD. I don't think any DVD burning application would be able to work out where to split an arbitrary installer so the installer will work across two disks.

If the installer can run from anywhere, and you don't want to split the file, an 8GB thumb drive would be an option.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Gee, you sure are mouthy for someone with 22 posts. :rolleyes:

Yeah, especially since that solution does not work for the OP's request as they defined it in post #3- wanting a program that would allow an installer to run from disk 1 and then ask for disk 2 to be inserted when needed to continue installation.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
it is an instalation program, therefore i want to write two dvds to be able to instal the application. so i basically want to put first dvd and start instalation and then when it asks for second one ill put that.

also the file is .dmg

It sounds like you are looking for something along the lines of Installer Maker or Vise X by Mindvision. Both are installer "builders" that sound like they might fit the bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.