DVD zones, the never ending problem ...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elrafo, Apr 1, 2008.

1. elrafo macrumors member

Hi there,

I am French but live in canada, I have a collection of DVD Zone 2, but also rent a lot of Zone 1...
    The thing is, on my MacBook pro, on both OS (I use bootcamp) I can only change my zones 5 times, after, the Zone will be locked ...

is there any tool or DVD player that is more Open to the World !! ;)

thanks!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Check out this web site first:

http://www.zonefreedvd.com/

Also do a Google search for zone free software. I've come across several free utilities which will set your DVD player's zone count to 0 any time you wish. Those utilities were for Windows. Since you're dual booting you can run one of them when in Windows.

3. elrafo thread starter macrumors member

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

VLC Media Player
    , one of the finest media players on any OS, totally ignores region coding allowing you to play whatever you want, whenever you want.

Cheers.

5. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Also you could check out VLC an app for playing DVDs - it plays almost anything thrown at it.

Edit: You just beat me to it SaSaSushi :) My interweb is really slow at the minute!

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Hehe, this is rare as I'm usually the one that double posts. :eek:

VLC is definitely essential equipment for all Macs.

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Agreed, I use it for music, videos and all DVDs as well - it is so great, it just needs to deal with flv files better though :(

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

For me it's the playback of H.264 HD content (especially 1080p) still being choppy and unwatchable that I'm waiting for them to fix.

I've been using OSXBMC for that in the meantime which handles the HD perfectly and is a decent Front Row alternative.

Not to hijack this thread but just to agree with you that as good as VLC is it isn't 100% perfect.

It does do region-free DVD playback flawlessly though. :)

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Just to agree with all that has been said about VLC so far - ideal for what you want.

Just leave your Apple DVD player set to Region2 and use it to watch those dvd's and then use VLC to play the Region1's. Easy.

10. Fixer macrumors newbie

I'm puzzled, because I thought that there is also a hardware setting in the drive itself that restricts region playing. This setting can only be switched a few times until it permanently locks - unless you hack it with firmware.

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes that is correct if you use Apple's dvd player to watch your dvd's.

VLC simply ignores the region coding and so you can happily watch any region dvd's without using up any of your 5 lives on the region setting. Very handy.

12. newbie2008 macrumors member

i'm having issues w/ that..i put in my region 2 dvd and set apple's dvd player not to automatically start when inserting dvd but it didn't work the region setting thing popped up anyway..and i have no clue how to get VLC to start automatically playing dvds when i insert in my macbook...
    nevermind i had to remove VLC from my comp...it wouldn't work and kept showing there was an error...strange....so oh well.

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

System Preferences > CDs & DVDs > Open Other Application

Then point it to VLC. Personally, I don't like my Mac auto playing DVDs but to each their own. :)

Gee, I couldn't live without VLC and it runs fine here. Can you be more specific with the error it shows you and perhaps someone could help you sort it out?

VLC is an incredible media player.

14. newbie2008 macrumors member

okay an error box popped up and had this written in it:
    so it doesn't ignore region codes...b/c i put in a region 1 dvd and [had it open w/ VLC] my region setting on my MB is region 2.
    so it was aware and couldn't read region 1 disc as my MB has region 2 set at the moment...

15. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm not sure exactly what is going on with your drive but you may find some useful information in this thread at the VLC forums discussing the same error.

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

17. newbie2008 macrumors member

yea i read the replies on that forum. so getting VLC is pretty much pointless. it seems w/ the new macs it's impossible to have region codes overlooked...oh well.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You are correct. Look at www.rpc1.org and you may find a new firmware with which you can flash your drive and be region free.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're mainly watching DVDs at home then an external drive may be the easiest solution. I have my internal drive set to region 4 and my USB drive set to 1 and it works perfectly.

20. elrafo thread starter macrumors member

hey there,

each time I try to play a Zone 2 DVD with VLC player, I have this error message:

vcd: search for kIOCDMediaClass came up empty
    vcd: failed to get the TOC
    vcd: no movie tracks found
    access_file: file /dev/rdisk3 is empty, aborting
    cdda: search for kIOCDMediaClass came up empty
    cdda: failed to get the TOC
    cdda: no audio tracks found
    main: no suitable access module for `dvdnav:///dev/rdisk3'

seems like VLC is not zone free!

21. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Something I have done before is open the DVD in Finder so that I see the Audio and Video folders, then open the Video folder and drag the vob files directly into VLC, they then play fine for me.

It just means no pretty menu screen etc, but I get to watch the DVD :)

22. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, as was established above it appears Apple has "fixed" the region-free VLCability in their newer Superdrives.

I ended up flashing my external Firewire DVD-RW with an RPC1 firmware. That worked. Depending on which Superdrive model your Mac has you may be able to find an RPC1 firmware to burn it if you want to risk it.

23. Roquefort macrumors member