Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I've seen both of these programs recommended for compressing DVDs larger than 4.7GB to one DVD. I was wondering if anyone has used both of these programs and could tell me which one outputs better video quality, or if they offer comparable quality. Alternatively, if you have only used one program, which one, and are you happy with the results you've gotten?

Also, does one program have any features that the other doesn't? I know DVD2OneX has a join feature, for say putting multiple episodes of a TV show on one DVD, but I can't figure out if DVDRemaster also has the feature.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I use DVD2OneX and that seems to work ok. Older DVD players don't like compressing a whole movie to one DVD(such an example is Ice Age where widescreen and fullscreen are on the same disk) so I've recently just been doing movie only as if I need to watch any special features the backup is relatively close by.

Never used DVD Remaster. But DVDOneX did work on a Music Video DVD.
Cannibal the Musical did have problems using the Full Movie compress, but all the special features are just Troma video stuff. I just did a Movie only and that worked fine.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
I'd wait until July when LaCie releases the Dual Layer 8x DVD burners.
Then you can buy DVD-R's (dual layers) and backup your DVD's w/o having to compress at all.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Of course, for those of us who've had DVD burners for over a year, DVD compression is a viable alternative.

krimson

macrumors 65816
7on said:
I use DVD2OneX and that seems to work ok. Older DVD players don't like compressing a whole movie to one DVD(such an example is Ice Age where widescreen and fullscreen are on the same disk)

just drop the whole 7gb folder into toast, then from inside toast, select one of the aspects and hit remove... that should leave you with one aspect and no need to kill the resolution.

:)

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Ok, I have two questions....

First, an OS X question: What kind of software do I need if I want to make a physical copy of a DVD? Do I need something like Toast? I have MacTheRipper (or something) which lets me rip the DVD. I am not sure how useful that is though unless I can burn it somehow.

Second, what is some good FREE software for Windows for ripping DVDs to AVI/MPEG? I use HandBrake on OS X which seems to work well for taking movies on vacation. A friend needs some help with this system. Does anyone have a recommendation?

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
First, lets assume you own the DVD and are following all the nuances of the DMCA, etc. etc. etc.

If its a homemade DVD created by iDVD then disc copy within Toast will wotk great. It copies the video TS folder and makes a duplicate properly with right structure.

If its for archival of a legally obtained DVD then its a different story.

You need ONE of the following:

OS EX
MacThe Ripper
DVDBackup
All three are designed to remove the digital encoding technology DVDs use.

You ALSO NEED a compressing application for large disks.
like DVD2ONE, DVDRemaster
Then you compress it to 1 disk, or split it into 2 disks

Many disk will fit just fine on a single DVD-R, but many will not.
You need to compress. DVD2ONE, DVDRemaster
The DVD is single-sided with less than 4.7 GB total (DVD-5)
1. Using Toast or another DVD burner program, set up a new DVD and name it EXACTLY THE SAME as the original DVD.
2. Put all the files extracted using DVDBackup into a folder named VIDEO_TS. You must include all the .IFO files (and preferably the .BUP backup files as well) in order to make the disc playable.
3. Drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the DVD you set up in Toast.
4. Burn the DVD using Toast.
5. The DVD should play correctly both on your Mac and in a standard DVD player.

DGFan said:
Ok, I have two questions....

First, an OS X question: What kind of software do I need if I want to make a physical copy of a DVD? Do I need something like Toast? I have MacTheRipper (or something) which lets me rip the DVD. I am not sure how useful that is though unless I can burn it somehow.

Second, what is some good FREE software for Windows for ripping DVDs to AVI/MPEG? I use HandBrake on OS X which seems to work well for taking movies on vacation. A friend needs some help with this system. Does anyone have a recommendation?

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
i use dvdRemaster, and if you compress just the main featuer of a dvd(about 6G) to 4G, you get pixalization every now and then. But it's free, so what can i say.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
DVD Remaster. it's built for OS X.

All you need to make a copy of a DVD is a dvd extractor, compressor, and burner.

tools of choice:
DVDBackup (unless you prefer MacTheRipper's cluttered interface).
DVDRemaster
DiskImager (removes DB_Store files which mess up compatibility with commercial players, you can use Toast if you own, or Onyx to force delete them, but this creates an IMG which makes DVD Burning simple)

Disk Utility (OS X's built in DVD burning app) just select the image created by Disk Imager, go to burn image...and burn the image...

if u want me to explain it in more detail, email me at BKONAR@SBCGLOBAL.NET with the subject DVD Burning.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
seamuskrat said:
5. The DVD should play correctly both on your Mac and in a standard DVD player.
you need to remove the DB_Store files manually or no go on standard DVD players. Also there is no need to name the dvd VIDEO_TS, name it anything with caps and underscores for spaces. i.e. KILLBILL_VOL1

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Thanks for the info. I couldn't find DiskImager but it looks like DVDImager (from versiontracker) does the same thing. I'll give that a try.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
BrianKonarsMac said:
you need to remove the DB_Store files manually or no go on standard DVD players. Also there is no need to name the dvd VIDEO_TS, name it anything with caps and underscores for spaces. i.e. KILLBILL_VOL1
You actually don't need any format for the name. It could be "Kill Bill Vol 1" and it would play fine. Also, don't even think about the DB_Store file in toast. Just be sure to be burning a Data DVD and have the structure set as DVD-ROM (UDF) and to have that Video_TS folder right in the disc's main directory.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Many DVD players are VERY sensitive to the non caps in disk titles. I for one have a JVC and a Sony DVD that refuse to play a disk with a title with spaces, or lower case letter. That said, a friend's Phillips plays them just fine.

Your mileage will vary. As a precaution, burn them with all caps, underscore for spaces and be safe.

jimsowden said:
You actually don't need any format for the name. It could be "Kill Bill Vol 1" and it would play fine. Also, don't even think about the DB_Store file in toast. Just be sure to be burning a Data DVD and have the structure set as DVD-ROM (UDF) and to have that Video_TS folder right in the disc's main directory.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
seamuskrat said:
Many DVD players are VERY sensitive to the non caps in disk titles. I for one have a JVC and a Sony DVD that refuse to play a disk with a title with spaces, or lower case letter. That said, a friend's Phillips plays them just fine.

Your mileage will vary. As a precaution, burn them with all caps, underscore for spaces and be safe.
The Signs disc has the disc named "Signs DVD". As strange as that is, i have yet to run into a problem with that, or any of my discs. Only the super expensive sonys and such have problems, which is ironic because they do much less than a cheapy apex.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
jimsowden said:
actually you do need to format it it exactly as i said previously, otherwise it won't be compatible with all DVD players. your dvd player may play it fine without a formatted title, but most won't. no it is not limited to sony dvd players.

for those not using toast (why waste a $100 for something you could do for free? disc burning is after all...built in to OS X...) you do need to worry about DB_Store files. Just use DVD Imager and it will take care of them for you.

Lexiloo

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
DVD Media File error

I have used Mactheripper and DVD2one & DVD Remaster to shrink a file down. Every time I try to toast the Video_TS file from DVD2one & Remaster I get an error message saying Application Code mismatch & couldn't set up the track for writing. I extracted the main feature only. I am using a -RW DVD. Any ideas?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Just though I'd add my $.02

I use MacTheRipper in conjunction with DVD2OneX...and i cannot recommend DVD2OneX enough. I have used it to compress countless movies, and each, and every one (i'm talking 100% here) have been perfect. I gladly paid the $50 to register it, as I have little cousins over quite often, and having Backups of all my dvds is priceless to me.

It truly is great software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.