.dvdmedia extension to iMovie HD- any help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by travelerawd, Jan 18, 2009.

1. travelerawd macrumors newbie

I used Ripit to rip a DVD (Dark Knight, for the curious) onto my Mac. Fine. But it rips with this ridiculous '.dvdmedia' extension that isn't compatible with anything but DVD Player. I really wanted to put it into GarageBand or iMovie HD and fiddle around with it to make music videos.

I know I could use Get Info to change the extension, but I'm not sure what's really the best format for iMovie HD either.

And yes, I know there's a million better rippers for Mac, but Handbrake confuses me, Handbrake Lite and Aimersoft just kind of freeze, and MacTheRipper just sort of scans for the rest of eternity even with VLC in my applications drive.

Any help for this humble n00b?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

First off RipIt can rip without using the .dvdmedia extension in at least its latest version by unchecking the "Use .dvdmedia Extension" in the "General" tab of its preferences after which RipIt will save the rip as a standard VIDEO_TS folder as can be found on DVDs. If you have a rip that still has the .dvdmedia extension you can control click it and choose "Show Package Contents" to see the enclosed VIDEO_TS folder.

The .VOB, .INF and .BUP files within the VIDEO_TS folder are the same as any other ripper puts into their VIDEO_TS folder, so you still have to convert them to a compatible video format for use with iMovie, etc. I have never had a need to do that, so somebody else will need to make suggestions to suitable converter software.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The Dark Knight has new DRM on it which confuses Mac The Ripper and Handbrake (but not RipIt.)

You can remove the .dvdmedia extension in the finder.

Handbrake Lite is now unsupported, and has been for quite a while (I'm pretty sure.)

After ripping the Dark Knight with RipIt, you'll have to individually convert the .VOB files one at a time with Handbrake to circumvent the DRM.