DVDs already being discontinued by the studios?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jb60606, May 21, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I lost the DVD to one of my all time favorites -- The Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des loups).

I thought replacing the disc would be as easy as swinging by the local Best Buy, FYE or Virgin Megastore, but they're all out of stock and they apparently have no plans to order additional copies.

Amazon.com didn't have any either (aside from a low-stock and over-priced 3-disc collectors edition for $50).

Finally, I talked to someone at DVDEmpire.com and they informed me that the disc had been discontinued.

I've been collecting movies for years and have never seen this. For what reason would a movie studio discontinue the distribution of a DVD? Is it in preparation for Blu Ray? If so, you'd think they'd wait until more than 4% of the movie watching public actually owned a BR player.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think they are trying to push to Blu-Ray. I noticed Best Buy had a fair amount of TV seasons for a lot cheaper than normal. Six Feet Under used to be $50-$60 per season I think and last week they had it for $20. I'm thinking they're trying to push out their current DVD stock for preparation towards Blu-Ray. Which is fine by me so long as they bring prices of those discs down. $20 is about my limit for purchasing a movie unless it has a *lot* of extras.

If you're still looking for that Brotherhood of the Wolf movie you might check out dvdpricesearch.com. It's kind of a google for buying DVD's. It has it listed there from one store and the 3 disc edition was in the low $20's if you wanted to get that.

I've been surprised I haven't been able to find a copy of Amadeus locally for quite some time. Hopefully it'll come out on Blu-Ray soon as I'm done with DVD's I think. I could get Amadeus off the 'net though but... yeah.

3. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's weird though is that it has also been pulled from rental stores, and even Netflix and Blockbuster Online. Thanks for the link.

4. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

jb60606-

not sure where in chicago your at, but on the southside on about 116th and western Beverly Records they might have it or be able to get it for you. they have some weird stuff in there that you cant get anymore.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

That would suck. I prefer movies on DVD. iTunes or otherwise take up too much hard drive space.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Things do go out of print sometimes. They aren't phasing out DVD's just yet. Heck, VHS was only phased out two or three years ago.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Ummm, no.....

DVD's will be around for a very long time.

All titles have mainly only one manufacturing run. Depending on the title, it could be from hundreds to millions....

After the initial sales, then you start seeing the left over stock for "bargain prices" to get the people on the fence to buy it.

Obscure titles may sell out, and since are not made anymore, become "out-of-print".

Some out-of-print may be re-released if there's demand, or if the studio decides to make another edition with more features (i.e. "Terminator" - I have no idea how many versions of that DVD is out there...)

8. gonwk macrumors newbie

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

10. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess $46.98, because that's what I just paid for the 3-disc collector's edition at Amazon.com. I didn't really want to buy it used, nor did I feel like giving another online retailer my CC#, so I just bit the bullet and ordered.

Thanks. I actually went to Facets on Fullerton in Lincoln Park this evening -- which is usually my source for rare & foreign movies. Surprisingly they didn't even have it. Nice to have another source though.

understandable, but I've never seen a movie disappear from the shelves of both rental and purchase outlets. Especially something only 5yrs old and popular.

11. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Some movies go out of print when a studio sells its rights to another studio.

Or when a studio wants to create a demand run. If you're going to release a new version, create a vacuum so that people come running during the first few months when it's rereleased.

Case in point, 1984. Why is that film out of print? In some people's eyes, it's a very relevant film these days, a studio could sell a pile of copies. But it languishes in a vault somewhere. It was on DVD, and then pulled.