DVD's and iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aedan2812, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Aedan2812 macrumors newbie

Hi,

i have an assignment and i need to make a video for it, i need to use scenes from some dvds i have.

I was wondering how you copy dvds to the mac hard drive, is there a program that is relatively simple to use? one that saves the dvd to the hard drive in a format that allows me to edit the film in iMovie?

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. obrien234 macrumors regular

3. The Valeyard macrumors member

MtR

Try Mac the Ripper
    It creates new VOB files then import them into MPEG streamcip and export with the deinterlaced feature.

4. Aedan2812 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey,

thanks for the advice i have handbrake and VLC, i've successfully imported one of the films into imovie now, but im still having trouble with another.

i bought the film on ebay and it was sent from the US it plays perfectly in my dvd player but when i put it in the mac it said it had the wrong region code so i changed the region code and it plays perfectly using the DVD Player application, but when i use handbrake to rip the chapters i need, there are these green bars across the screen similar to what happens when a dvd is damaged, its the same in VLC. I tried it again in DVD PLayer and it worked perfectly. Any ideas about what i should do?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can only change your drive's region code a fixed number of times. I think the limit is 5 times. This is hardware/firmware-based and can't be circumvented by software. Once you've reached the limit, your drive will be stuck on whatever code you used most recently and won't be changeable. This is one of the more annoying copy protection "features" courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood MPAA.

6. Aedan2812 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i have 2 more changes left and hopefully i wont have to use them.
    its a pretty inconvenient feature