DVDs from recorder not readable on Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AeroBar, Dec 31, 2009.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hi,

The following concerns personal, family home movies - not commerical movies.

I had to store a few home movies on the hard drive of my DVD recorder (the set top box). I transferred them to DVDs and I'm using MPEG Streamclip to get them into iMovie.

The hard drive on the recorder no longer functions properly and a few of the DVDs don't seem to have finalised properly - the Mac's DVD player can't read them and Streamclip can't open the titles (although it has been able to partially rip a couple of DVDs).

I've tried MacTheRipper to see if copying the DVDs will help but it can't open them.

The recorders hard drive is no good to attempt copying them again (ie dub from DVD to HDD to DVD), but the discs will play fine in the machine.

Can anybody give me an idea how to sort this out?

Regards

PS Handbrake can't detect all the titles on a disc either

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What is the folder structure of the video DVD?
    Does it contain an Audio_TS folder, and also a Video_TS folder with some .vob and .ifo files in it?

MPEG Streamclip can't read video DVDs due to the MPEG-2 compression of video on video DVDs, unless the QuickTime MPEG-2 component or Final Cut is installed.

3. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Thanks for responding so quick. Streamclip is working fine and I have the QT MPEG Component.

the folder structure in the the video DVD (for both good and bad discs) is a VIDEO_TS folder (no audio folder). Good discs ate titled "Untitled UDF Volume". The bad discs contain the Model number of the DVD recorder in the title (as though it is isn't finalsed - which it is).

Cheers

4. lostless macrumors 6502

There are some DVD extractors that will read an unformatted DVD. I used one once, but was windows only. I don't know of any for mac.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

All of the signs of DVDs that have not been finalized.

6. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Incorrect.

this machine allows DVD to HDD dubbing on finalised discs.

The reason I can't do this now is that the HDD is damaged and will not dub to a DVD. I have already tested an unfinalised disc in the Mac and they are completely different to these problem discs.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Can you still play the video stored on the Hard Drive?

If so, can it be played out through the AV connections to another device?

Can you connect to the recorder box via another connection like Firewire or ethernet? I have no idea if there is such a thing, but I was thinking I had heard there were some devices that could do this.

8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

9. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto