dvds on laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom Foolery, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

i've been told that if i play a dvd with my mbp at a little bit of an angle it will wreck the dvd is that true

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I just tried playing a DVD movie with my MBP upside down, just to see what happens. The DVD played without any problems. Now that the MBP is back on its right side up, the drive is still reading discs flawlessly.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

Actually, with my core duo MacBook, I was fooling around and moving the MacBook around while playing a DVD and the DVD came out all scratched up, so yes, there is atleast a little bit of truth to that.

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hmm, thats weird. My disc seemed to be fine. How were you moving your MB?

5. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

seems odd, because many of the coolers for laptops are designed with the back higher then the front.

6. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I've wondered about this too. When I was researching MacBooks before taking the plunge and buying one, I read some complaints where MacBooks were scratching disks. I watched a DVD with the MB on my lap, and checked the disk afterwards. No scratches. The other day when I was ripping a DVD to put on my iPod I absent-mindedly picked up the MB and set it down out of my way, realized it later, and checked the disk. Once again, no scratches.

This lead me to believe that perhaps this was a problem with the earlier MacBooks, because I have yet to scratch a disk, let alone hear anything else about the scratching problem.

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

It most likely has to do with the amount of movement and the speed. With the disc spinning, it essentially becomes a gyroscope. Slow movements will not cause much if any damage because all the parts are able to adjust to the situation. Fast, jerky movements will cause different parts to go in different directions causing them to come in contact.