DVDs on my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Macdeez, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Macdeez, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Macdeez macrumors member

So I have a couple of DVDs that I want to watch on my iPod and obviously that's not physically possible so instead I was thinking that maybe I could move the files on the dvd to my pc, convert them and then put them on my ipod.

After I opened up the DVD I found out that the files are in 2 folders names Audio_TS and Video_TS which both contain weird files... Is there a way to compile the audio and video files to one file and convert it to iPod format?

Thank you :)

Update : After a bit of googling I found a program called handbrake that does what I need, after I'm done with it i'll let you guys know how it went :)

2. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

I don't know how any of that works, I only know of buying them from the iTunes store which is RIDICULOUS.

Good luck.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Use HandBrake, I use it all the time. To convert the DVDs I put the settings on the Apple preset Universal.

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I second Handbrake. But, in order to rip DVDs, you must also install VLC first, so that Handbrake has the libraries it needs to decode DVDs. Prepare to wait a while for the videos to encode, especially if you have an older processor. A 2007 2.0ghz C2D iMac encodes a 2 hour video in about 45-60 minutes, a 2.53ghz C2D 2009 MBP encodes the same in about 35-45, and my 3.06ghz quad i7 950 rig does that in about 25, just for a point of reference.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Not decode; decrypt.

6. kohlson, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

kohlson macrumors 68000

Done this for several DVDs. Couple of things to keep in mind. First, check what resolution your ipod can play. If handbrake is set to something "too big" then the result may or may not sync, and definitely won't play. iPods earlier than the current version want no more than 480xwhatever (let handbrake pick the second number). Finally, play with the stream rates a little bit if you want movies that are smaller in size. For example, on my daughter's 8GB ipod touch, using the standard handbrake presets allowed on 4 movies (she had music, too), but playing with the stream rate, easily got it to 8 movies. Don't adjust too small -- below 500 Kbps -- or they start to look bad.

7. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Ok well I have a 2011 13" MBP with the 2.7 i7 processor and 4 GB of RAM and the iPod touch 4th Gen with 32 GB of storage space, hope it wont take too long.

Oh and by the way what happens if its a series not a movie? with a title menu and everything

8. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Handbrake selects what to transfer in titles. You can select as many titles as you want and they will rip into different files.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

What Handbrake will do is strip the individual episodes out as individual files. So, you won't get a menu.

For example, if you have The Office: Season 1 DVD that you're encoding, it will have a file for Episode 1, another for Episode 2, etc...

10. Edgey macrumors newbie

11. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

I tried to use handbrake and it was taking forever. (ran for 4 hrs and was only at 35% complete). I then tried DVDfab, and I get good iPad quality DVD rips in 25 mins depending on movie length. I have a Sony vaio with an i3 processor, and 4gb ram