Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Will it be possible to put ripped dvds onto an ipod? If so Im buying one now if not ill wait till somebody figures out how to do it by going around the system

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
AP_piano295 said:
Will it be possible to put ripped dvds onto an ipod? If so Im buying one now if not ill wait till somebody figures out how to do it by going around the system

Well i guess if it is in the right format it will be playable...So if you rip a DVD into a MPEG-4 file then it should work...theoretically.

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
i think battery life for video is 2 hours...might cut it close.

edit: 2 hours for 30gb, 3 hours for 60gb.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
If you rip the DVD with MactheRipper, convert it into DV, and import it into iMovie then it will work fine. All you have to do is export it and put it on the iPod and it will work. How is Apple going to tell what the movie is about?

Note: This is obviously a guess, and I don't know if Apple has found a way to block it, although I don't see how they would.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
macbaseball said:
If you rip the DVD with MactheRipper, convert it into DV, and import it into iMovie then it will work fine. All you have to do is export it and put it on the iPod and it will work. How is Apple going to tell what the movie is about?

Note: This is obviously a guess, and I don't know if Apple has found a way to block it, although I don't see how they would.

I cant think why they would either

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
briangig said:
i think battery life for video is 2 hours...might cut it close.

edit: 2 hours for 30gb, 3 hours for 60gb.

Im thinking more as a travelling media center I could plug in and then into a tv for the actual watching but I would love to have my entire dvd collection in my pocket.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The only way they could block full length movies is if they put a limit to the size of the movie file put on the iPod (ie: if iTunes won't transfer files larger than a certain size, or longer than an hour).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I noticed that iTunes will not import any of my QuickTime movies but somehow thought that my QuickTime .mp3 files were video, so I would say that normal video files aren't going to work.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
AP_piano295 said:
Im thinking more as a travelling media center I could plug in and then into a tv for the actual watching but I would love to have my entire dvd collection in my pocket.
Entire DVD collection... 30DVDs on the 30GB and 60 for the 60, But then no music. Anyway, here is a thought, look at the new Quick time Pro, it says that it can make ipod size files, what would be the purpose of that if not to convert regular video to the ipod?

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Converting AVI to MPG (or MOV)

TommyM said:
Is there a way to convert .avi to .mpg?
There is a way to convert...
Its called DivX Doctor II, it changes any AVI file to a MOV file in a matter of minutes..and its simple as ever!

This new iPod is gonna be amazing! being able to watch and show others my Indie. movies!!

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
Importing Movies

I used Handbrake to convert my personal copy of "The Aviator" (after ripping to the hard drive with MTR) today to MPEG4. The file ended up being 1.3 GB. (I may need to adjust the settings) I dragged and dropped it into my iTunes 6 library, It imported just fine, played back in the iTunes window perfectly. I was also able to change/add artwork and the movie appeared in my listing of videos.

I ordered a new 60GB iPod Video today! :p

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
30GB iPod

I ordered a new 60GB iPod Video today! :p[/QUOTE]
Im also going to be ordering one from an Apple authorized store I used to work at.
Very exciting news lately! Can't wait to see it in action.

leidendude

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2005
macbaseball said:

How do you convert into DV?

hamster

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
Won't you lose quality if you go this route - if you use QTpro to export to iPod the resolution is lower than DVD (I don't recall the exact numbers). So, when you go to play it back on a TV you will have something approximating VCR quality. Maybe not a big deal, but I'm not sure I'd call it 'my DVD collection in my pocket'... :p

Related question - has anyone discovered if you can view videos that are encoded at a higher resolution in iTunes6? Could you export them to the iPod for TV (but not iPod) playback?

Edit: I just read another post (http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/did_the_new_ipod_just_get_less_compelling/) that notes the iPod will support up to 480x480 - and the h.264 scales nicely to TV size...no idea if this it true, but I'm sure someone here can comment...

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Artofilm said:
I ordered a new 60GB iPod Video today! :p
Im also going to be ordering one from an Apple authorized store I used to work at.
Very exciting news lately! Can't wait to see it in action.[/QUOTE]

why does your title say 30?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.