DVD's onto new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by virginblue4, Jul 21, 2012.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Hello everyone, I want to put one of my DVD's (Toy Story 3) onto my iPad (3rd gen). How do I go about doing this? Also, how will it look on the high resolution screen of the new iPad?

Many thanks :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would suggest using Handbrake with VLC (both free) to encode the DVD to the iPad preset
    Then load it into iTunes and sync your device

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

DVDs look good on the new iPad, but ripping blu rays would look the best.

Also, since rips are usually large, I'd get a program called Plex that can stream to your iPad inside your home network. If you need portability, you can transfer the files to your iPad still!

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

While Handbrake (www.handbrake.fr) and VLC (www.videolan.org) is a great solution, I must point out that the current version of VLC does not include/install the needed files to rip commercial DVDs in Handbrake.

OP, are you using a Mac or Windows to rip the DVD and for iTunes?

After you install the missing file for VLC, Handbrake will very easily convert the video for you.

5. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'm using Windows 7 and yes for iTunes.

6. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

First install Handbrake and VLC (I believe you want both to match, either 32-bit or 64-bit. 32-bit should be fine considering you won't need either of these apps to access more than 4gb of memory.)

Then follow this link to download the libdvdcss.dll. Choose the correct version, either Win32 or Win64 based on what versions of the software you installed: http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/last/

Then after you've downloaded the libdvdcss-2.dll file, rename it to simply libdvdcss.dll (not sure why they add the "-2"). Then you want to copy the file, navigate to either Program Files or Program Files (x86) depending on which Handbrake version you installed. Then locate the folder labeled handbrake. This is where you want to paste that libdvdcss.dll file.

Now handbrake should allow you to rip a commercial DVD without throwing up an error. In handbrake you will notice some presets on the right side. You can use those as a starting point if you're unfamiliar with codecs, containers, bit rates and whatnot.

After handbrake outputs a file, you will simply drag this into your iTunes library like you do any other media.

7. transphasic macrumors member

2 stupid questons:

1-can I use blu-ray DVDs in a Mac pro SuperDrive? I have an intel Mac quad from 2009/2010.

2-does handbrake recognize the files of a blu-ray disc, and handle them as well as it does regular DVDs?

8. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

1- no. There are no macs that come with Blu Ray readers. BluRay discs are different than DVDs, and require specific equipment to read.

2- since you don't have a BD drive this doesn't really matter. Nevertheless I don't believe handbrake rips blurays, but there are Mac programs that do. The one I had seen used about 2 years ago ripped the file off uncompressed. (I.e. like 15-25 GB). The file could then be compressed in handbrake to something more appropriate size wise.

9. sitsonthefence macrumors member

Curious- what's the needed file if you use a mac?

10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

11. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Follow this link, download the libdvdcss.pkg and install it. They've made it easier on the Mac.
    http://download.videolan.org/libdvdcss/last/macosx/

12. sitsonthefence macrumors member