DVI adapter to TV - will it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SimonBS, Jan 30, 2010.

1. SimonBS macrumors regular

SimonBS

Hey.

I'm so confused. I recently bought a Macbook Pro 13" and now I'ld like to connect it to my Prosonic TV. First, I thought I could buy a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but it doesn't seem it exists. Oh well, I'll just use an audio cable aswell then. No problem.

So I thought I would buy a Mini DisplayPort to DVI rather than VGA because DVI should have better quality. So this is the one I need, right? Yes. Now I checked my TV to see if it actually supports DVI but I'm not sure about that now.

I don't know anything about this really, but my TV shows HDMI and DVI to be the same input. That's not correct, right?

I've attached a picture of the back of my TV showing the inputs.

Can anybody help me to buy the right accesories to connect my Macbook to my TV?

Attached Files:

2. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

That HDMI+USB adapter could be a solution, only thing is, that it is very expansive to have it shipped to Denmark. Also, it's not really the REAL HDMI solution, so I think I'll stick with DVI + audio cable. If just I can be sure, that my TV even supports it.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is also a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter from www.Monoprice.com, and to see if your TV supports DVI, have a look at the manual of that TV.

4. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Yes, the manual.. Thing is. I haven't been able to find it. Still looking though :-D

Everyone suggests Monoprice. It's just expensive having it shipped to Denmark from them.

Thanks for the help though.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

6. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Maybe I should concider buying from them. A little cheaper, still a fairly high shipping in my opinion. But are you sure that adapter supports video and audio from the Macbook? As far as I can read on the forums the Mini DisplayPort does not support audio which really eliminates the point of using HDMI.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I does not support audio, therefore you have to use an extra audio cable.

How much is the shipping? It was 3.90€ for me.

8. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Shipping is 17€. But as long as HDMI in Macbook does not support audio I will stick with DVI.