DVI and 3.5mm to HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TRMN8R, Dec 15, 2010.

1. TRMN8R macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 MBP (pre-unibody) and I am trying to find a solution to hook it up to a TV via HDMI only. My TV (and several I have encountered in hotels) does not take separate audio and HDMI video. Does anyone know of an adaptor that can take the audio out of the headphone jack, the video out of the DVI, and send it through HDMI together?

Thanks!

2. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

have a little looksie at this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DP-Displ...uting_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4cf3da212d

there is also one kicking about that does a 3.5mm jack to go in the headphones...

i have a late2008 unibody and use an optical to my amp for audio and hdmi for video - but i did come across these type of cables while hunting for my best option :D

vinda

3. dime21 macrumors 6502

No. The audio from the headphone or line-out jack is analog audio. HDMI transmits only digitally encoded audio. So any such device would need to have a ADC (analog to digital converter) chip in it. Quality ADC circuitry costs money, so a decent ADC device will be several hundred dollars. An inexpensive one will have awful audio quality. Plus the device would need more circuitry to insert the digitized audio into the HDMI stream.

The other alternative is using the optical digital out. But you have a different problem there, you need some circuitry and an optical transceiver to convert the optical digital signal to an electrical digital signal, and then more circuitry to insert that audio stream into the HDMI data stream.

Either way, these are functions that you find only on recording studio equipment costing hundreds (or thousands) of dollars. Another road block to making an inexpensive consumer-grade device, is the HDCP copy-protection encryption that HDMI uses. So any such device would need to be an officially licensed HDMI device with decrypt/encrypt capability - you won't find this on ANY consumer grade equipment anywhere.

In summary, No, there is no inexpensive, portable, consumer-grade device that does what you are asking, and I doubt there will ever be.