dvi + audio to hdmi?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Solesk, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Solesk macrumors member

dvi >> video only
    hdmi >> sound and video.

maybe i'm missing it, but i can find nobody that makes a cable to combine the audio with the dvi into the hdmi.

i currently have my computer hooked up to my tv with the dvi to hdmi cable. but unlike component cables there's no seperate audio jack on the tv associated with that input. so i cant run a seperate cable.

so i'm left with video on the tv (which works great) but audio still on the computer, which sounds fine if i'm at my computer, but i'm not always at the computer, and then the sound isnt the same.

so am i missing something with this setup? i guess i could run dvi to component in, but i'm not sure the tv would setup properly like it does with the hdmi cable. the tv also has a monitor input, but i'm not sure it has an audio port assoated with it or not either.

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

3. Solesk thread starter macrumors member

the problem is my tv has the hdmi input, and that's it. there is no seperate audio jack that is on the same input. so i could use those, but they would be on a different input. i'd get video on one source and sound on another. but not at the same time.

if i did dvi to those three video cable inputs, then i could use that item into the audio. but then i would be no longer digital. and i'm not sure how that would effect using the tv as a monitor.

edit: the other option is to get a stereo and run audio into that, but this is just for my bedroom. that seems like overkill. and i did find this, but i hardly want to spend $300. i'll take audio on the computer before that.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. Solesk thread starter macrumors member

i find it hard to believe that it should cost me $300 just to hear audio on the tv. that's like paying apple $700 for ram upgrade you can buy aftermarket for $150. $300 seems like price gauging. there must be a cheaper alternative.

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I personally have speakers connected to my laptop so the audio comes from them and the video is on my lcd tv. I don't really care too much.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, the receiver you mentioned or a different TV.... It only costs that much because the device is a low volume solution to a problem few people have. Few people even care about connecting a PC or Mac to a TV, so most of the devices they would connect are either component + audio or HDMI already.

This is something to keep in mind when buying a TV, any TV. Do the inputs connect with the devices you want to connect to it. Does it give you an audio in for each VGA/DVI/component input, etc...

FWIW I have one Toshiba TV that won't take audio in separate from the HDMI, and a Samsung that does. So on the Toshiba, I have a DirecTivo on the HDMI and will have to use the VGA or component for any other device I want to connect.

B

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

If I'm not mistaken HDMI contains a digital audio signal, not an analog one. If I'm correct about this, part of the issue is that all Apple computers (and most, if not all, non-apple ones) use an optical output for digital audio, while HDMI uses some form of electrical signal carrier.

This being the case, you can't just "split out" the audio wires in an HDMI cable to plug into your Mac--your choices of output are either optical digital, which won't work, or analog, which also won't work.

As such, you need a box like the one linked, which takes a coax input that it modifies in whatever way is necessary to include it in the HDMI cable. You'd need either an A/D converter (for analog) or optical digital converter (for the toslink output) to make it work with a Mac.