dvi cable & mac mini ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Che Castro, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

2. takezo808 macrumors member

DVI had been all but replaced by HDMI on new displays. HDMI added HD digital audio.

VGA and DVI will give great picture quality. Going DVI may save you 30 dollars as you need to buy the VGA adapter for the mac mini which comes with a DVI adapter. My old Monitor has only VGA, so I had to fork over the 30bucks for the adapter. It really does not matter. Go with the cheaper solution. DVI cables are straight foward just buy a DVI Male to Male cable.

3. Che Castro, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

So all i need is a dvi male to male cable?

Since the mac mini comes with dvi to thunderbolt adapter is it ?

Edit: but instead of using the apple adapter that comes with the mini & buying a dvi cable male to male

Cant i just use that monoprice cable? Is one cable instead 2 connected together & is only $8

4. dvdchance macrumors regular

First-off, the Mini comes with a HDMI to DVI adapter, not a Thunderbolt to DVI adapter.

And the cable you linked will fit your needs fine.

In the future if you ever need to you can even daisy chain other Thunderbolt devices before your monitor. I connected a Thunderbolt external hard drive to the Thunderbolt port and now have my monitor connected to the second Thunderbolt port on the hard drive. Works fine.

5. blanka macrumors 68000

6. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Would this one work fine as well to connect my 2011 Mac Mini to my DVI monitor?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1023104&p_id=2661&seq=1&format=2#description

I've never been happy with HDMI to HDMI when connected to a TV, but the minidisplay adapter has always looked better. Wasn't sure if this cable would be just as good as the minidisplay to DVI connection. Thanks!