dvi cables

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by don't do it, Aug 1, 2008.

1. don't do it macrumors regular

ok i recently bought a dvi adapter for my macbook and then a cable for it but the cable has an area on it that looks somewhat like four prongs surrounding a piece of flat metal and the adapter has only a slot for the metal piece and its too small. What can i do to fix that?
    thanks

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

specifically what kind of cable did you get? Apple has lots of different cables, it can be kinda confusing.

3. don't do it thread starter macrumors regular

ok well my tv has a dvi port and my macbook has a mini dvi port so the adapter i bought is mini dvi to dvi and the cable is a DVI-I

4. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

i'm having a hard time trying to visualize the problem ("the cable has an area on it that looks somewhat like four prongs surrounding a piece of flat metal and the adapter has only a slot for the metal piece and its too small.") you're having with the cable. if you post a picture, it might be easier to find a solution.

maybe somebody else knows off the top of their head?

EDIT: does it look like this? cause this is S-Video, not DVI. Edit: ok, never mind. i don't think you're thinking of s-video....

Attached Files:

5. don't do it thread starter macrumors regular

ok here is a picture. the top is the macbook adapter the bottom is the cable and my tv

Attached Files:

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Cable you have is a DVI-I cable. Unfortunately the DVI connector that the Apple Mini-DVI becomes is DVI-D (which lacks those 4 pins around the flat pin). Return the DVI-I cable and get a DVI-D cable. Your TV has the pins either to support analog DVI connections (DVI-A)/VGA or so that you can just use the more common DVI-I cables.

TEG

7. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

hmm....i don't know. maybe somebody else knows. but what I would do (if you're tv has s-video) is i would get an s-video cable and this adapter from apple. its a mini dvi (which is the port on macbooks) to s-video and composite video. $19.00 http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9319G/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

8. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

forget what i said. do what he said.