DVI Cinema Display and the new Macbook Pro Retina display

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Hi,
I notice that the new MacBook Pro Retina Display has two Thunderbolt ports and I am wondering if I purchase it, will I be able to connect to my ACD 30" and 23" displays that have a DVI input.
I do have the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter by the way for the 30" display.

Do I need to get any special adaptor or am I able to keep the native resolution of the 30" displays?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,
I notice that the new MacBook Pro Retina Display has two Thunderbolt ports and I am wondering if I purchase it, will I be able to connect to my ACD 30" and 23" displays that have a DVI input.
I do have the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter by the way for the 30" display.

Do I need to get any special adaptor or am I able to keep the native resolution of the 30" displays?

Thanks for any help!
The MDP to DL-DVI should work fine with the Thunderbolt ports.

JeffStumpf

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Larchmont, NY
30" works with a true DVI Dual Link adapter

When I use my two different adapters on my MacBook Pro 15 w/retina display under BootCamp Win 7 I get two different maximum resolutions.

1. Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter -- 2880 x 1800 MAX
2. Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter -- 1280 x 800 MAX
NOTE: The DVI adapter is much smaller than the Dual Link adapter.

Win7 installed drivers & a reboot was required. I have not yet tried this on the Mac OS X side or to see if after these new drivers, what might change. If I find out anything changes on the Mac side or Win7 side other than the above, I will report back. My guess is the adapters’ limit the Max Res & some think they have a Dual Link adapter, when in fact they do not.

Jeff Stumpf
MBP15-R, and Mac Pro (w-30" HD Cinema Display available)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.