Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Hi,
I notice that the new MacBook Pro Retina Display has two Thunderbolt ports and I am wondering if I purchase it, will I be able to connect to my ACD 30" and 23" displays that have a DVI input.
I do have the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter by the way for the 30" display.

Do I need to get any special adaptor or am I able to keep the native resolution of the 30" displays?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,
I notice that the new MacBook Pro Retina Display has two Thunderbolt ports and I am wondering if I purchase it, will I be able to connect to my ACD 30" and 23" displays that have a DVI input.
I do have the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter by the way for the 30" display.

Do I need to get any special adaptor or am I able to keep the native resolution of the 30" displays?

Thanks for any help!
The MDP to DL-DVI should work fine with the Thunderbolt ports.

Comment

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
The MDP to DL-DVI should work fine with the Thunderbolt ports.

so the display port and Thunderbolt ports are the same shape and size? Can you just plug it in straight without any adaptors?

I have never tried.
Thanks

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
so the display port and Thunderbolt ports are the same shape and size? Can you just plug it in straight without any adaptors?
Yep. OS X Lion: About Thunderbolt
If your display uses a Mini DisplayPort, you can connect it to the Thunderbolt port on your Mac. And with the appropriate adapter, you can connect your Mac to a display that uses DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA.

Comment

JeffStumpf

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Larchmont, NY
30" works with a true DVI Dual Link adapter

When I use my two different adapters on my MacBook Pro 15 w/retina display under BootCamp Win 7 I get two different maximum resolutions.

1. Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter -- 2880 x 1800 MAX
2. Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter -- 1280 x 800 MAX
NOTE: The DVI adapter is much smaller than the Dual Link adapter.

Win7 installed drivers & a reboot was required. I have not yet tried this on the Mac OS X side or to see if after these new drivers, what might change. If I find out anything changes on the Mac side or Win7 side other than the above, I will report back. My guess is the adapters’ limit the Max Res & some think they have a Dual Link adapter, when in fact they do not.

Jeff Stumpf
MBP15-R, and Mac Pro (w-30" HD Cinema Display available)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.