DVI D single link to HDMI female adapeter? Buy anywhere?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Violettuesday, May 23, 2014.

1. Violettuesday, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014

Violettuesday macrumors newbie

My mac died and having a large, older monitor a mac mini seemed like the cheapest option. I bought a refurb from apple this week, which is still unopened.

The problem is i cant seem to find a female adapter for my old dvd d single link plug. Are they sold anywhere?? Im in the uk but can buy from overseas if i have to.

My plug is the third one down, in the middle of this pic~

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=types+of+dvi+adapter&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=lzl_U6TXKYrFPO2hgJAL&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_&imgrc=dvmmji3TtbhJHM%253A%3BDTRB_bXv3gsmLM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fcommons%252Fthumb%252Ff%252Ffb%252FDVI_Connector_Types.svg%252F277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FDigital_Visual_Interface%3B277%3B543

But though the others come up with any search, i can only find male dvi d adapters, or other dvi type females :/

Thabks in advance for any help.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

The Mac Mini comes with an HDMI to DVI dongle that you should be able to put any DVI cable into.....

3. Violettuesday thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks~ yes and no.

Thats the plug the monitor has already~ i need the female counterpart adaptor for it.

Ive actually called apple to return the mini; it seems unlikely i can find an adapter, so the cost of buying a new monitor + keyboard mean i may as well just spend a bit more and get a mac air.
    And i can sell my current monitor for £50 or so.

Thanks very much anyway!

4. PatrickVogeli macrumors newbie

5. Violettuesday thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks patrick.

No, theyre a different type of DVI.

Mine is two blocks of 9 pins and a minus sign. Those are for DVIs which are just continuous pins and a minus sign :/

6. PatrickVogeli, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014

PatrickVogeli macrumors newbie

It will work. what you have is dvi-d single link and the adapter takes the dvi-d dual link, but it will work.

edit: as they said, the mac mini should come with the adapter... Open the box and try

7. Violettuesday thread starter macrumors newbie

Really???? o_O

Ok... Thank you! I asumed that it needed to be a perfect match; even the guy i spoke to at apple yesterday didnt know that. Nor the guy in store.

Sorry, im really low functioning due to imsomnia right now.

I can afford the extra now if i can get a mac air refub~ the 11" at £600 just sold last night (my mini was £400). Last week the mini was the cheapest thing on the site.
    Do you think theres any benefits, save cost, of a mini over an air? Mainiy for photoshop?

I doubt ill take the air out the house much but taking it to another room'd be handy from time to time.

Any other pros / cons of mini v air??

8. PatrickVogeli macrumors newbie

mac mini vs macbook air: really depends. I see no point getting the air if you won't take it out. Even more important, if you go for the cheapest one, I assume it comes with 4GB of RAM, which is not upgradeable. With the mini you get:
    -A cheaper machine
    -You can change hard drive
    -You can change and/or increase RAM
    -I think the base mini should be faster than the base macbook air

You can check how the machines you are comparing score here:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Anyhow, since you have the mini at home, i'd just open it and try it out. I think you should still be able to return it even if you used it (but first clarify if possible!)

9. Violettuesday thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks, that's sound advice : )
    Btw, i mis-read your surname as Vogon, ha ha. Which'd be a great name!

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.