DVI-DL Switchers (Belkin Flip DVI KVM Switch)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeffreyk, Jan 9, 2009.

1. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I've been searching the MacRumors forums and the subject of Dual Link DVI switchers hasn't come up recently (as far as I've been able to tell), and seeing I'm within a week or so to buying my new/first Mac Pro I thought I'd post something here to see if I can get some fresh input on the subject.

Has anyone had experience with the Belkin Flip DVI-KVM Switch?

I'm currently a PC owner with a custom fluid-cooled computer and when I make the switch to Mac I will retain my custom PC for solely gaming and I'll be using my Mac for pretty much everything other than gaming. I'm not a big gamer but like to play games every so often.

I really want to keep my new Mac as "Microsoft Free" as possible so I really prefer to not go the Parallels/VMFusion/Boot Camp route (I'd rather spend the extra costs on upgrading and improving my upcoming Mac).

Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. ox4dboy macrumors newbie

Did you have any luck with the Belkin Flip KVM switch?

I am having no luck getting it to work - following Belkin's set up instructions. Initially I got it working, but my large monitor had a bunch of green horizontal lines running through it - some sort of interference.

Now it is not working at all - the large monitor says "No input signal" and then goes to sleep when trying to get a G5 to work with a MacBook Pro.

I noticed the remote switch's light is out - as if the remote is dead?

3. MTI macrumors 65816

I pretty much gave up with the Belkin VGA Flip . . . tried using it between a PC and a Mac, but the havoc it caused with the different video resolutions wasn't worth it.

4. TransientMole macrumors newbie

I too tried the Belkin Flip on my 30" Dell, it was nothing but problems. I would get green static and horizontal lines - they would progressively get worse the longer you left it on. I came to the conclusion after reading countless forums that lack of HDCP support on the flip was causing these issues.

Some folks, especially at lower resolutions or single-link DVI said they had success with the flip, but It was just a headache for me.

I gave in, returned it, and got a IOGEAR GCS1782, which is a 2 port dual-DVI switch, HDCP compatible, and about $70 more than the flip (Which was still more than I wanted to pay, but hey - you get what you pay for). This switch is wonderful. Works great, it doesnt "Disconnect" the USB when you switch like the Flip did, and it also has a USB 2.0 hub that you can switch as well, along with the ability to swicth 7.1 sound. I am very happy with the IOGEAR.

Systems :

Macbook Pro 15" 2.66GHz 9400M/9600M GT (2009 unibody)
    Custom PC i7 965EE w/ NVidia 280GTX
    Sidewinder X6 Keyboard / Logitech MX Revolution Mouse
    Dell 30" 2007WFP @ 2560x1600

5. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I guess I should have updated the status of my situation when I finally got my Mac Pro up and running. In my OP, I was going to have a dual PC/Mac system for my gaming (PC) and everything else/productivity (Mac) purposes; but when I got my Mac Pro up and running I made the decision to solely go with my Mac OS and forgo any PC connectivity. If I was going to make the leap I wanted to have a clean break from PCs to my...cue the heavenly angelic music...glorious Mac Pro system. I'm so glad I did that as I don't miss die-hard FPS gaming too much at all like I thought I would. I found a new addiction in Peggle but that's for another thread completely. :)