DVI HDMI, confused :(

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zodiak, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Zodiak macrumors regular

Hello :)

I am scratching my head about something and I am wondering if someone could please help me. I have an older television that does not have HDMI but it has a DVI port in the back. I am interested in doing the video mirroring for the iPad 2 using the new the new cable (Which one is it? there are 2 different ones on the Apple store website.)

I am looking for an adapter or direct cable I can plug into the apple cable that goes into the ipad for the display. I see alot of DVI to HDMI or HDMI to ipad stuff but it is very confusing for me. Which is better? An adapter or a cable? Will I be able to get sound on my tv using this method? I'm seeing alot of different situations with devices where I see Yes/No's on the internet.

Also, if anyone could please suggest one from a website that I can order from Canada? I have heard about a website called www.monoprice.com but I dont know if they ship to canada and when it comes to connectors, adaptors and cables, I always get very confused :(

Thank you for any help provided!

2. Zodiak thread starter macrumors regular

I would also like to mention that I am looking for a relatively long cable and is there such a thing as a relatively long 30pin cable for power?

Thank you again for anyone who can help! :)

3. Zodiak thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone at all? Please help. I know next to nothing about this subject and is very confusing for me.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'll try to answer as much as I can.

1) You're going to need the Apple HDMI adapater and then a HDMI to DVI cable. Monoprice has these and will ship to Canada. Monoprice is probably the best place to look for cheap cables IMO. I have no idea what their Canada shipping rates are though.

2) DVI does NOT transmit sound though, and seeing as Apple's adapter does not have any other option to transmit audio, you'll just have to play it out of the speakers.

I should also mention that I don't currently own an iPad 2 or the adapter so I can't say they're aren't any issues converting HDMI to DVI, but if it works like most products, it should.

5. Zodiak thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! :)

Ok so DVI doesnt do sound... hmmm....

Do you know if there is such a cable that goes from HDMI to DVI AND RCA that I could connect the DVI for video and then the RCA cables for the sound?

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Good answer but one small (and unrelated) correction. The DVI spec doesn't say audio (since it's ver 1.0 and was conceived for computers) but the audio data is embedded in the video blanking area. So the audio is transmitted just not supported. For instance if you do a HDMI to DVI cable to HDMI adaptor the audio data is preserved.

7. Julien, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The audio data is digital and RCA cables are analog. Your TV likely has an S/PDIF input so you *may be able to use this adaptor.

Also first try the DVI adaptor and see if you get sound. While the DVI spec doesn't support it the audio is present (see my previous post) and your TV may decode it.

* Adaptor is designed for DVI & S/PDIF to HDMI but will likely work in reverse

8. Zodiak thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You! I will try that. It is very much appreciated :)

Now the hard pard is finding an iPad 2

Oh, do you guys know where to get really long 30pin to usb cables?

Thanks again

9. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Personally I wouldn't buy that box. There's cheaper options around.

You can get the HDMI cable then plug an HDMI->DVI adapter on the end. Use a normal female female DVI cable to go to the TV.

The for sound just get a plain old RCA->3.5mm cable.

Your TV should have an audio jack that corresponds to the DVI port. It may also just bea a plain old 3.5mm jack. In that case get this.

Finally, for the power just get a USB extension cord instead of a long iPod cable.

All the links I put are for a site called Dealextreme.com I've used them many times before and they're great. Their customer service is very helpful, their shipping is free and they're cheap. The only gripe I have is that whatever you order takes very long to arrive.

10. Zodiak thread starter macrumors regular

Thinking that the digital av cable goes from the ipad then flops out a few inches. To have an adapter stuck in there that isnt secured on the hdmi side and then having a dvi cable hanging out the other end, then having the 30pin cable on the other side with another cable hanging off of that.

I appreciate the idea, it is quite good and cheap as mentioned but with the use of all the different lengths of cables and adapters, i feel the whole thing might be very wobbly and unsecure. I am just looking for a little bit of a neater solution but that you. It is a great solution.

I am not opposed to paying a few bucks for a solution that works effectively and dosent look like spaghetti :)

Thank you all!

11. Zodiak thread starter macrumors regular

For this reason I think a box will work better for my needs