Dvi -> Hdmi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xoggyux, Dec 6, 2008.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I used to connect my computer to my LCD TV via VGA (with DVI adaptor) and minijack (like headphones) since my TV has pc input, however like 2 months ago i moved and the new spot where the TV is located makes it a pain in the a... to connect it every time. I realized that the TV has a very accessibly HDMI port in one of the sides, and thought in getting a cable for my MBP that in one side is DVI and HDMI in the other side, however Im still wondering how will I be able to get the sound (does DVI also transmit sounds????) if not, is there any cable that is HDMI for one side and DVI/Minijack in the other? the thing is, that the TV has a minijack input, however if i change the input from PC to HDMI it will not reproduce any audio coming trough the minijack.
    Thanks for your help.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1) No, DVI doesn't transmit audio.

2) No, as far as I've ever seen, there's no converter that takes DVI and a mini-jack and puts it into HDMI. It would be really useful, but I haven't seen one (would love to know if there are some)

3) The only thing I could offer is, maybe, if you're lucky, your TV will provide mini-jack audio with HDMI if there actually were an HDMI signal (I take it you tried it without plugging anything into the HDMI port). Small hope... my TV, for what it's worth, I believe will always play the mini-jack audio on the HDMI channel, even when nothing's plugged in and I'm just passing by it, unless there's an audio signal coming in via HDMI. Some TV's just don't offer the HDMI + separate audio configuration.

3. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, this is the thing my TV has the following inputs.
    2 sets of component (with the 10 or so input for the different audio chanels and color cables like green red and blue)
    3 sets of HDMI
    I believe it got a coaxial (not sure since im not in home at the moment)
    and a pc input which consist of a VGA input + minijack input. The thing is that im asuming that since the minijack is part of the whole PC input it doesnt reproduce sound if the TV is reproducing HDMI, when i get home i will check but i dont have much hope.
    apple should have put an HDMI output instead of DVI :D
    Thanks let you know if it works.

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816