Dvi-I from mac to dvi-I tv

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ncc1701d, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Will dvi-I to dvi-I also send sound? If not, I guess there is only two ways - the optical out of the mac or the analogue Jack?

I just have a stock standard macpro 4.1 (early 2009)

2. ncc1701d thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I've figured out you can't... So I guess I'll have to find a long enough optical cable or Jack with RCA. I guess there's no other way?

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

DVI-I does not do sound. You will need a DVI<->DVI cable, MiniDP>DVI adapter, and a (3.5mm headphone) male<->male or male>male or female RCA audio cable.

4. ncc1701d thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I got everything except the miniDP > DVI - what wil that be for? Looking at the back of my tv, it seems to be the same size dvi-I fitting.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think he assumed you had a newer Mac with MiniDP...

6. ncc1701d thread starter macrumors 6502

I do, but that's taken up with my acd, so I'm only left with the dvi-I 'slot'.

7. ncc1701d thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry- I wasn't clear enough. The apple display is used for computer, I wanted to stream shows through my computer to my tv which also has a dvi-I. I've got the RCA cables, but I will also need to split the anolgue signal - one to my computer speakers and one to my tv... I was hoping optical might work, but will have to leave the computer shops where I am and ho and see.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For audio, you will not be able to plug in both analogue and optical audio if that's what you intend to do; you will need to get a simple Y-splitter for the analogue stereo or one of these to split the optical to your two receivers.

9. ncc1701d thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, for the time being I can't seem to open that link... it starts then hangs.

Are you saying that I can't have my optical out from my computer going to my tv and the analogue jack out going to my computer speakers?

This is the splitter I got for the jack. If the optical doesn't work along side the jack, I'll have to use the splitter I guess to go RCA to the TV and the other to my speakers...

[​IMG]

Any noticeable sound quality drop using one of these?

10. iVoid macrumors 65816

No, you can have the optical out hooked up to a receiver and the analog out hooked up to to speakers.

BUT you can't have sound going to them both at the same time.

Although some things can be set to use either one. Like system sounds can be set to go to the speakers and everything elese (quicktime/itunes) to the optical out.

Some apps (VLC) even let you specify the output in their menus.

11. ncc1701d thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to cross those bridges when I come to them I guess. It sounds like the best option is to have the optical out of my MacPro getting split with an optical splitter, then one gong to the speaker in my computer room and the other going to my tv. I won't be needing to listen to them at the same time.

The next best option would be to use both analogue using the above splitter (but I do get the occasional "crackle" when using the analogue jack connection - not so with the optical).

But am I correct in saying that if I do have one analogue jack and one optical, that when I want to listen to one or the other, I'll have to go to 'System Pref -> Sound -> output' and change from "line out" to "Digital Out" each time?

12. ncc1701d thread starter macrumors 6502

I've set up the dvi connection and I'm getting a picture.

It starts off as the standard snow leopard screen, with no dock or menu bar. I then go to system preferences and fiddle with the display settings. The best I can seem to do is select "mirror" and I then see everything on my tv as it is on my computer. That's great, but when it does it, the display on my mac switches to a "narrower" picture (tv goes full screen).

The LED display shows 1920 x 1200, when the Sharp tv display shows it says 1600 x 1200 (throughout the switching too). It says to make it the same resolution, but it's a pita

Any help appreciated.

13. ncc1701d thread starter macrumors 6502

Additional problem.

For some reason my usable screen area on my computer display since connecting the DVI goes off the screen... Nothing is warped or off screen, but the curser can go considerably "off screen". This only happens when it is not "mirrored".

Under 'System Preferences', I have the option of moving the screens left or right, above or below each other. Wherever they touch is where the 'extra bit' is...