DVI-I to Component for older Sony Trinitron TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gjohnson1881, Oct 31, 2010.

1. gjohnson1881 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I've been on this site for a couple of weeks now reading the old posts about connecting a MacBook Pro to TV's. I think I know what I need to get but want to be absolutely certain. To start with, I went to an Apple Store but the associate I spoke with was of no help, so I return to the web.

Basics:
    MacBook Pro from 2006.
    I know it's not a mini DVI, so I'm assuming it's a standard DVI, though I'm still unsure of the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D.
    Graphics/Display: ATI Radeon X1600. Chipset Mode: ATY, RAdeon X1600 Resolution: 1440x900

TV:
    Sony Trinitron 32".
    It has S-Video, Component, and obviously Composite. It does not have any HDMI inputs.

I know of Apple's DVI to S-Video/Composite which will work. However, I recently discovered that Component is a higher quality than S-Video or Composite. So my question in regards to the connection type is, does it matter? Dealing with this kind of TV, will connecting to component be that much better than S-Video? Here is a link to one type of component connection I found:

http://sewelldirect.com/dvivideoadapter.asp

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. Username02 macrumors regular

I have been struggling with this same issue for a while on my 2007 iMac.
    I had one of those adapters stashed away in my box o' wires and unfortunately it does not work.

You would unfortunately need some sort of a converter box to go to Component.
    I am stuck using the Apple DVI -> S-Video for the time being.

3. gjohnson1881 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks Username02, I really appreciate the heads up. Realized I wasn't thinking "fourth dimensionally" and thought, "why not VGA to Component using the DVI to VGA cable my MacBook came with. So I was all set to pick up the VGA to component cable but upon your recommendation, I think I'll just go with the Apple DVI to S-Video. How's the quality for you?
    Thanks again.

4. gjohnson1881 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and bought the Apple DVI to Video component adapter and connected it via S-Video. It works great. The colors are a little more pale than on my 15" display, however the video is smooth, crisp, and in full 4:3 (I believe) ratio. Regardless, it's awesome and I love it. It works perfectly. So anyone that stumbles upon this thread that is in a similar situation that I was in, rest assured, the Apple connector is awesome and definitely worth it.

5. Username02 macrumors regular

It's OK.

I have the resolution set at 720i which provides widescreen and the picture is OK ~ god enough for internet Hulu streaming. Unfortunately, I have the display mirrored so my iMac screen now looks like junk.

I so wish this machine had MDP....

But! This is replacing a PC on my entertainment center so it;s just nice to have something that works for once.

Glad to hear this worked out for you!

I do also see what you mean about the washed out colors. I think this is the nature of the s-video and composite video connectors though :(

6. shikhapachauri macrumors newbie

Need Urgent Help!

Hello All,

I have a MacBook which i want to connect with SONY Trinitron (Model :- KV-34HS510)

Let me know what all the required cables for the same.

Thanks in advance..