DVI issue early 2008 MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NYCMacPro2008, Jan 23, 2008.

1. NYCMacPro2008 macrumors newbie

Got the new mac pro and having a DVI issue with my Dell 2405FPW display.

If I connect using DVI, the monitor powers off. It goes into power saving mode basically not detecting a signal at all.

I can connect using the DVI -> VGA adapter no problem.

The same DVI cable works with a PC without an issue. I've tried another cable as well.

Any ideas? Have reset PRAM a bunch of times.

(side issue: mac has gray screen and will not boot with Drobo plugged into USB. Unplug Drobo and restart and all is fine. Headed over to Drobo forumsnow but if anyone knows the quick answer, much appreciated.)

2. noi375 macrumors member

It won't detect the panel even if you boot up with it hooked up to the DVI connector (meaning you cannot even see the typical Apple grey screen)? That's strange - it sounds like a detection problem (meaning the OS cannot detect what panel you are using, and therefore apply the correct setting).

3. codemancmc macrumors newbie

That's strange, I haven't had any issue with my Dell UltraSharp 18.1" monitor, but since that is a few generations older than your 24"Widescreen, it may be an updated DVI firmware issue.

4. NYCMacPro2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing at boot. The monitor goes into stand-by not detecting any signal.

Of course, I don't have a second monitor to check if it's an issue with driving native DVI but I suspect that because the VGA adapter works, the graphics card is fine.

A big PIA, to be sure.

5. noi375 macrumors member

It only has 1 DVI connector or 2? Might want to try the other connector - could be the circuit for DVI on that particular connector broke...

6. NYCMacPro2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Two and I tried them both. Same issue on both. PC works fine on DVI, Mac only works with the DVI -> VGA adapter. Straight DVI puts in the screen into sleep mode.

7. Random Chaos macrumors member

Do you have two monitors? Try hooking both up and see if you can find out anything useful from the working monitor?

8. deathshrub macrumors 6502

You may want to contact Dell directly - I've had some problems with their flat panels in the past, which have come and gone without any explanation. Their forums are something you may want to give a shot. Hope your problem gets fixed. Try another display if you can.

glad i bought an acd.

9. mrcandy macrumors regular

I have that exact model of Dell display as well, connected to HD2600 in a 2008 MP via DVI - works perfectly. Resolution is at 1920x1200@60Hz, PIP disabled, set to input #2.

Therefore shouldn't be a generic handshake/detection issue, must be a problem with one of the two devices. In the post below when you refer to DVI #2, I assume you were talking about the DVI outputs from the HD2600 (i.e. you've tried both)?

10. NYCMacPro2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried both. That yours works perfectly is a good sign. I'm either doing something boneheadedly stupid or there's a wierd glitch somewhere.

Thanks for the info

11. NYCMacPro2008 thread starter macrumors newbie