DVI monitor display problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brunetmj, Jul 15, 2010.

1. brunetmj macrumors member

I am attempting to use an external DVI monitor using the mini port port and the mini port DVI adapter sold by apple.
    However the screen display on the external monitor
    does not match the Mac book display.All I get is a color Mac opening screen with no icons.apparently there is more to getting an external monitor going then just plugging it in. I tried restarting several times but that dosent help. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That should be correct. Can you drag a window to the external display?

Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and seen, if the external is pictured day?

Btw, the Menu Bar and the Dock stay only on one monitor, they won't get extended.
    The Dock can be dragged to the external monitor and the Menu Bar too.

[​IMG]

But if you want to view the contents of the MacBook's display on the external, you have to select MIRROR DISPLAYS, but due to the low resolution of the MB's display and the higher resolution (?) of the external one, it will look blurry on the external display.

[​IMG]

3. brunetmj thread starter macrumors member

Thank You

That worked perfectly. Just wanted to mention though that I see everything
    on the external monitor that is displayed on the mac book monitor including the Menu Bar and the Dock. Works just as I hoped it would.

4. Spcbreazile macrumors newbie

My issue is that my screen is shattered...i have a dvi to hdmi and i get the second half of the screen to show up but i cant do anything with it...is there anything i can do with out having the other half usable