DVI or HDMI for 1920x1200 second monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Xnew2macX, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Xnew2macX macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I ordered the new 27" i7 and shoulder be here this week. I'm looking to make my samsung SyncMaster T260hd my second monitor, it supports all connections, dvi-d, hdmi, vga.
    I'm wondering which "mini display port - to -xxxx" should I get. Does HDMI go higher then 1080p? Is the DVI-D my best option?, I've read that they both have the same "video quality" but was wondering if HDMI offers the same resolutions as DVI, and which will be better for the future as well. I still hope/plan to buy a mac pro in 2-3 years.

I use my computer for light video editing (after effects), lightroom, and photoshop.

Thanks for your help.

PS> any suggestion as to where to get this adapters other then the apple store?

2. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Well 1st off, the only difference between HDMI and DVI that almost many people dont seem to get is that HDMI also allows sound to travel through the cable. There is no real improvement in video quality between those 2. Both produce the great same digital picture.

But to keep things short and sweet, just go for the MDP to DVI, since apple sells that directly and if you have a problem you can just visit the store to replace it.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

In fact, both produce the exact same digital picture - HDMI is DVI video, plus support for sound and HDCP copy protection/encryption.

4. Xnew2macX thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware that HDMI & DVI are the same as far as video quality and that hey both will provide great picture quality, but do both support 1920x1200 resolution or does HDMI Max out at 1080p?

5. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Sorry, I completely overlooked your question. But yes HDMI can produce 1920 by 1200.

The Hanns G 28" monitor allows for the screen res through HDMI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043&cm_re=hanns_g-_-24-254-043-_-Product

and there is also a video of 2 musicians testing out the Hanns G with the HDMI cable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agTLa8-Oo6U

6. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I'm actually connecting my LED-LCD Tv as a dual screen on my 27" iMac that I ordered. I'll have to see how it works. I mostly want to use it watching movies and final cut clips to watch better. :D