DVI or HDMI on LCD TV/Monitor

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dalvin200, May 15, 2008.

1. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I've just purchased a Samsung 22" HDTV/LCD Monitor and it has a number of connections, including DVI-D and HDMI.

I currently connect my macbook to my 40" samsung via mini dvi -> dvi-d adapter -> dvi to HDMI and i use a separate audio cable for the sound which works great.

On the new 22" which has DVI-D and HDMI i'm not sure which route to go down. Do I use the same cabling of mini-DVI to HDMI or just go mini-dvi to DVD-D?

I'm not sure what the differences are, but I'll mainly be using it for watching content off my macbook and occasional surfing...

I'm assuming that if i go mini-dvi to dvi-d that i'll also need a separate audio feed similar to what I use on the mini-dvi to hdmi connections.

If there is no remarkable difference, then probably mini-dvi to dvi-d would work out cheaper on the cabling.. and i assume i'll need the Apple mini-DVI to DVI-D adapter thing too....

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

2. asmith3006 macrumors member

HDMI is just DVI-D with audio in the same cable. There is no quality difference so use whichever is cheaper :) Neither will have audio coming out of your mac dvi port so it doesn't matter.

3. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

excellent.. thanks you for the info..

cables ordered :)