DVI or VGA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A Macbook Pro, Oct 23, 2009.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I'm leaving to my local Apple Store soon to buy an adapter so I can connect my 15'' June 2009 high-end MBP to my 32'' Sony Bravia. I'm thinking of either getting Mini-Display port to VGA or DVI and then connecting with a VGA or DVI to HDMI cable. Is there any difference in quality? My Bravia is Full HD and it's about 2 years old. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Would also like to find out how exactly I get audio. I don't know if I should get Digital or Analogue and how exactly it connects to my mac.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The signal over VGA is converted from analog to digital so there is some loss of quality that you probably wouldn't really detect. However, a DVI is a straight digital connection. If you are hooking up to a Bravia I would go DVI. Why spend the money on a Bravia if you're going to use VGA? It's like never watching sports or an action flick on that TV and sticking to game shows and soap operas. In other words, it's a waste of a great TV.

3. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks alot! Now, I've looked at the Apple Store online and they have optical audio cables, but what confuses me is, does my Mac even have a port to connect the optical? Sorry if I sound like a bit of a noob but I honestly have no idea and I'm leaving for the store in an hour or so.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

VGA is there for those who reside in school districts / office environments where their projectors rooms are listed on the National Register of Historic Places because they are so old :p

Go Digital (DVI)
    Be Happy.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your MBP does not have an optical cable. However, if the display (TV) has optical then you can get a 1/8" to optical from mono price or amazon. Either site will give you a really good deal on the cable. I run the same cable from my Mac Mini to my home stereo receiver.

Don't worry about sounding like a noob. We all have questions and have to start somewhere.

6. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Jess, your a big help! So I know exactly what I need now. Except I don't live in the US so I can't buy from those sites. Even when I search for a 1/8 to optical I don't find what I need? Would be great if you could link it for me. I just need the adapter now and I'll be all done. Any chance they would have the adapter at the apple store?

9. vant macrumors 65816

You should look into the USB+MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable. It covers both sound and digital video.

Monoprice has them for $40.

10. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Got back from the store, set everything up, it looks amazing! Realised since I'm not going to be doing much sound related stuff I'll just let the sound come out of my speakers. If I ever want to listen to music I have my headphones.