DVI over VGA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gav, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Gav macrumors regular

I have just ordered a MacBook. I refuse to pay £40 for adaptors, and ideally I'd rather not pay £20. However, I am willing to buy one.

I'll mainly be using the external monitor feature with a 19" 1400x900 monitor with DVI and VGA in. However, I may also have to hook it up to a projector with just VGA in.

Is there any noticeable difference in quality with DVI and VGA?

- Gav

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

DVI is digital, VGA is analog.

DVI carries HDCP, VGA doesn't.

Use DVI.

3. Gav thread starter macrumors regular

My monitor doesn't support HDCP. Is the picture quality any better? Is it worth the £20 for the extra adaptor?

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

If it's a high class monitor with a bajillion options for tuning the analog picture, and your cable is about six feet or less, you should be able to adjust the analog picture to look as good as it would over digital.

If it's a cheapo monitor with just the standard brightness, contrast, and color controls, I doubt it would make a difference which connector you used anyway.

Seriously, there won't be such a difference that analog is unusable. Give it a go with the VGA adapter, if the picture is not acceptable with that, buy the DVI adapter and you'll still have the VGA one for the projector.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

DVI is better in the long run. In the future, DVI will become more and more popular and widespread. VGA is a dying standard.