DVI Port on Apple G5's?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nein, Apr 16, 2008.

1. nein macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I use Mac's at school don't own one myself just yet, but I had a quick question. I will be bringing my personal monitor into school tomorrow for a presentation and it has a DVI port as the output.

I cannot recall if the mac pro G5's (not-intel) support an DVI input or if it has to go through a conversion adapter. I am searching google but I need to be absolutely sure.

Would anyone be able to help me out with this one?

Thanks a lot,

James

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Depends on what version it is. The first iMac G5 had a VGA output only, the final revision had a mini-DVI, which requires an adapter to plug a regular DVI cable in. This adapter should have come with the iMac but you need to be sure if they have that adapter there.
    Why take your monitor to school?

3. nein thread starter macrumors newbie

We are doing a huge showcase tomorrow. The school monitors are small tiny little lg 17's with washed out colors. I will be bringing my samsung 30" monitor so huge difference and a lot more eye catching.

The school Mac's are Mac Pro G5's (non-intel revision) sorry to clarify.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah I know, a G5 can't be an Intel anyway. You probably won't know what revision it is without looking so you best be prepared for anything.

5. platypus63 macrumors regular

Depending on which generation PowerMac G5 it is (and depending on video card as well) it should have at least one DVI port. Some of them have a secondary DVI port, and the older G5s have the old propriety apple monitor connection so if you wanted to run dual monitors you might not be able to without a weird adapter. But you should be okay w/ just a DVI cable if you want to run your 30 only.