DVI Splitter as Dual Monitors?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simplymuzik3, Mar 28, 2009.

1. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have a powermac g5, with 1 DVI output and 1 ADC output. I was looking to get dual monitors without buying and ADC adapter (hard to find in canada locally). I looked on monoprice and found this:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p..._id=1011304&p_id=2518&seq=1&format=4#feedback
    It splits 1 DVI into 2 DVI's. Will this let me do dual monitors? Some of the reviews on the monoprice website say that it will only mirror the 2nd monitor. Couldn't I just go into system prefs and extend my desktop onto the second display? Please let me know if this will work. I will just be splitting the DVI from the powermac into 2 DVI's and then connecting 2 monitors (1 samsung 226BW via DVI, and the second a LG 19" monitor with a VGA to DVI adapter).
    I really hope this will work! It would save me so much trouble!

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure this won't work. Splitting the output from the G5 will just give you the same output to two monitors. Even if you extend it, the computer is going to extend it to one monitor, and the other monitor is going to do everything the first monitor is doing. To have a dual set up you need two dedicated hardware chips i.e. a daisy chain effect from one monitor to the next, or two dvi outputs from your computer aka dvi1 dvi2.

3. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about that particular cable, but at work our Dells running XP have 1 DVI port with essentially the same thing connected.

It has one plug in the computer, and the back has 2 cables coming out with 2 DVI ports. Looks more like this physically.

And it runs two screens just fine in extended mode.

Not sure about the G5 though.

4. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

It's likely you have a low-profile video card specifically designed for this. I have the same setup, one DVI-type port on the card that breaks into two DVI ports when used with the included adapter. This will not work on a standard DVI port. You can't split regular DVI (including dual-link) for two independent, non-mirrored displays.

5. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

fair enough. I don't know much about windows hardware, so it's very probable you are correct. Sorry for the false hope there OP. :) Too bad. Can you get another video card in your G5?

6. simplymuzik3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think just going to get a 9800 pro with dvi and VGA and then just flash the card to work on a mac =) thanks for your help! It's really appreciated! :)