DVI Switch for DVI-VGA/TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digitalpencil, Dec 19, 2007.

1. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Hi, for the purposes of work and play, I use my MBP with both a second monitor and a TV but rather than having to unplug the DVI-VGA adapter and plug in my DVI-TV whenever I want to watch a movie, I would like to use a DVI splitter with a switch with both adapters plugged into the splitter.
    Would this work? I know that when I plug in either adapter, the display prefs are refreshed (new display is detected, screens turn blue etc) so if plug both adapters into a splitter and then switch the splitter channel between 1/2 will it in turn detect the new adapter and change the display prefs?

Apologies if the above is confusing.. words are not my strong point ;)

Thanks.

2. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Bi-directional DVI switch

This would work, I think. Plug the mac into the monitor port and plug the monitors into video1 and video2

http://www.networktechinc.com/vidsw-dvi.html

The only problem, cost is about $185 !

3. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Wowza! Yeh, had a look around myself & they're all really expensive! I think i'll just make one myself.. can't be that hard, just 3 dvi ports, switch & a bit of solder. Might just make a cable version similar to apple's dvi-vga but with a Y-split running to the two separate dvis & a switch in the middle.

Thanks anyway.