DVI switch-splitter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scooterbaga, May 2, 2009.

1. scooterbaga macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm trying to find a device that will let me share one computer with two monitors. I'd like to use DVI, but I only have the one DVI port. I only want to run one monitor at a time, I just don't want to unhook the cord all the time. I'd rather have a switch between the two monitors.

All I can seem to find is stuff that does the opposite... One monitor two computers, which I can't use. Any help finding something to switch between two monitors from one computer would be great.

Thanks.

2. english06 macrumors member

So is this one mini-dvi to two different VGA monitors or what? More specific please.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Why dont you just have two DVI cables running from the back of the monitors which you can just switch your adapter into. Sure its not the box you asked for but I am unaware of such a product.

4. scooterbaga thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a DVI-I dual link on the back of the card. (ati 9800 mac edition)

I was able to find the items like the splitter cord english mentions. Wouldn't a cord like that run both monitors simultaneously? I'm looking for something that switches... So I'm only running one monitor at a time.

5. english06 macrumors member

Picky Picky...

I'm pretty sure with this splitter you can just turn off whichever monitor you don't want to use. :cool:

6. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

7. scooterbaga thread starter macrumors newbie

But isn't that for one monitor/two computers? From what I understand DVI is directional. It wouldn't work for two monitors/one computer.

Let me know if that's how you're using it.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I think the type of KVM switch you want does not exist. I have have taken a look at the very high end KVM switchs close to $700 and this is not an option.

The dual monitor output switches assume there are at least two computer being connected each with dual monitor connection capabilities.

These switchs are set up as.
    "Computer 1 Connector A" and "Computer 2 Connector A" can switch with "KVM Output Monitor A"
    "Computer 2 Connector B" and "Computer 2 Connector B" can switch with "KVM Output Monitor B"
    So "A" can only output to "A" and "B" can only output to "B" thus you can not connect just one computer output and expect it to switch between monitors.

However you can get a DVI Splitter and turn off the monitor you do not want to use.

Edit: I just looked at your post about the radeon 9800 so you do have dual output capabilities. You could then use a dual computer, dual monitor KVM switch and just flick the monitor you do not want to use to the non existent second computer. These are also quite expensive.
    This one has decent reviews but seems to have a clumsy switch system (only one button)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107223

This model actually has a good switch setup but is excessively expensive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817402022

For all KVM switches on Newegg. Since with the 9800 you may want DVI + VGA(DSUB).
    http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=143&Tpk=kvm

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Oh, I'm sorry. I completely misunderstood.

What you need is a Matrox DualHead2Go. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/

You plug in both your monitors into that box, and then into your computer. The box "tricks" your computer into believing that it's a single monitor.

This is as far as I know the only consumer-oriented option for you. I hope this helps. :)

Edit: Again my advice is failing. You only want to use one monitor at a time. Although I fail to see why, I won't judge. Sorry I can't be of any further help. =/

10. nelupasilk macrumors newbie

What you need is a DVI Splitter. It will enable you to display the same image on multiple monitors. I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech as they offer a wide range of DVI Splitter and HDMI Splitter solutions.