dvi to 9 pin projector

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thewoody1@gmail, Apr 8, 2008.

1. thewoody1@gmail macrumors newbie

I have a new macbook intel dual core, has a different dvi than my old pro. I need to connect to a 9pin port on my video projector for making presentations at work. Apple apparently dropped this support. does anybody know of a solution. I cannot use the dvi offered with the rca plug the projector only has a usb port and a 9 pin. the usb is for a remote which does work.

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

I must be missing something. Why don't you use the DVI -> DB9 (VGA) adapter that came with your MacBook Pro?

I connect to my own InFocus projecter all the time by plugging one end of the adapter into the DVI port on my MBP, the other to the standard VGA cable that comes with the projector.

3. thewoody1@gmail thread starter macrumors newbie

differnt dvi used.

they are different dvi's apple changed the a dvi mini of a different design on the new macbook and it is not compatible with the dvi connector the pro used. Apple sells only one adapter but it goes from dvi mini to a rca video female plug. probably for older monitors does not help me. I think I need a third party solution and figured someone out there has already been thru this?

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

You need to get a MiniDVI (that is what the port is called) adapter. MiniDVI-VGA. You can get them at the Apple Store, or online.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTM5NDc&nplm=M9320G/A

Also, it is a a 15pin connector, not 9. 9pin is Serial, 15pin (in 3 rows) is VGA, 15pin (in 2 rows) is GamePort, and 25pin is Parallel

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Sorry...you said MacBook and my brain was thinking MacBook Pro. I see now that the mini-DVi to VGA adapter isn't included with MacBook - looks like you have to buy it separately, as the poster above says.

6. thewoody1@gmail thread starter macrumors newbie

your right about the port though

it is 15 not 9 I always get that wrong, apple told me they don't sell what I need so I am hoping somebody knows where I can get what I am after. so many different dvi's it is like walking in the dark searching on line.

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

8. thewoody1@gmail thread starter macrumors newbie

confused but will try

so here it is, and the mac store online geniuses said it wasn't so. I am hoping this is for the new macbooks and this is the item for me, I looked over the link and it doesn't spell out which macbook but the posts seem new enough so I am gambling, but I was let down by apple twice on this venture. 1. they gave me a bum steer and told me no such cable existed thru them but secondly this is the sort of thing they used to supply with the laptop free. I hope a trend is not starting, as apple gets more successful is customer service and customer care and overall value going to suffer. I couldn't believe they would not have an adapter to support video projectors, all but the newest ones use the same connector as mine so at least learning that they have a cable feels good, guess I better be careful with it from the posts I read.

Thanks for the help

9. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

the rep you talked to was probably confused.
    While the only way to be 100% sure if this is what you need is if you posted a pic of the end of the cable.
    but it is very likely that you need a mini-dvi (what the MacBook has) to VGA (what older monitors, and most likely what your projector has) which is exactly the cable that was posted here.

There are only 3 types of video adapters for the MacBook,
    1. mini-dvi to DIGITAL dvi
    2. mini-dvi to VGA
    3. mini-dvi to Composite video (the yellow cable) and s-video

If you projector uses anything other than one of those 3 connectors then it is using a proprietary technology. however you already said it was 15 pins, which is VGA.

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, the MacBook Air comes with the MicroDVI-DVI and MicroDVI-VGA adapters, and the MacBook Pro comes with DVI-VGA adapters, so really it is just the MacBook that doesn't come with them.

I have a Core Duo MacBook (1st gen), and all 3 adapters, they also work on my Mom's Core 2 Duo MacBook (2nd gen), so I see no reason to believe they would not work on your new MacBook.

And like Me1000 said, they were probably just confused, especially if you did not explicitly call it the MiniDVI port.