DVI to Component

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ill0gical0ne, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ill0gical0ne macrumors 6502

I recently ordered an HDTV (should be here sometime this week) and I'd like to hook my Macbook up to it. The TV that I bought has HDMI, Component, S-Video, and normal RCA (no DVI or VGA; they end up costing too much for the quality). I'm thinking about using component because I've yet to find a DVI to HDMI cable/adapter with an audio patch (which sort of makes HDMI pointless).

So, the thing that I was wondering is if anyone has tried any DVI to Component video cables/adapters, what their quality was, and if it caused overscan problems with most HDTVs, or if anyone knows where (and can provide a valid link) to purchase a DVI to HDMI with audio patch cable/adapter (within the USA).

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Usually TVs today that lack a DVI/VGA input will have one HDMI input that also has a set of two RCA plugs for analog stereo audio, so you can run a DVI-HDMI cable for video and then get a minijack-to-RCA cable for audio. Haven't ever tried a DVI to component video adapter, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd recommend going via HDMI too. At least that way it's digital all the way through. To go via component you'll be using an analogue signal which I'd try and avoid unless you need a long cable run, in which case HDMI might not work so well.